Gibson Brands Forums

The last day I will ever step foot in a Guitar Center

sevenone

There are a lot better music stores than GC, but there are also a lot worse.

In the not too distant past, the major GC's had some really cool stuff that you don't see everywhere. There are 4 near where I live -- one has the best stuff for anyone wanting to pay more than a few hundred bucks for say a guitar or is interested in something different from the post popular (sales wise) guitars (things like an octave mandolin, resonators, good selection of vintage stuff at exhorbitant prices, etc.).

There is also a few small shops in town that are a lot better than GC. But, they weren't open at 8 last night and didn't have a used 1995 Sunburst Dove that sounds/plays great. If I did not think one of the locals might have something as good or better, I would have probably bought that one GC guitar (well the price and some strange finish imperfections near the neck/body might have had something to do with it).

Plus, if you pay attention, you can identify hours when it's quiet in the store without the kids whailing away. I think GC has it's place just like Walmart.

Just my opinion -- glad to have em, but their demise would not be the end of the world.

Ok I have my problems with GC but I don't hate them. There are some good employees and prices. I don't mind going in and playing around sometimes. I'll occasionally buy something if it's an exclusive or a good price.

Can we give the "I hate GC!!!" threads a break! We get it' date=' a lot of people don't like GC. [/quote']

I'd have to agree with you...I have a love/hate relationship with the company...I've got a few sales guys I go to at the 2 different locations I go to down here in FL (Hallandale and West Palm Beach) that know their ****...And I've never had a problem getting good deals (being a former employee helps though)...Also it takes them soo long to get orders in because of the *** backwards way their corporate office makes them handle ****....When they do a special order through them EVERYTHING has to go through their DC and then they call the company (even after the salesman you worked for ordered it) to get the stupid P.O. on it....The other problem is they really don't train new employees well at all.

One of 3 possible anomalies is happening at the GC in Birmingham Alabama.

1. They missed out on the new "no haggling" policy.

2. They REALLY want to make sales, and will throw in case upgrades, and case candy to make the sale happen.

3. I'm a total prick that goes in with the smell of "work hard & you'll make a BIG sale" on me.

I suspect it's #3, because instead of coming over to "sell me" something, I have to go GET a salesman (many of them know me on sight) to make my 1st offer to, that opens the negotiation.

Whichever it is, it works for me........oh btw, it may have been ME that got some of y'alls missing cases (snicker)

I just copied the link to this thread and sent it to my guy at Guitar Center.... I explained it was no reflextion on him as he is one of the "good guys" and I have always gotten good deals and service from him. I just let him know that I thought GC should be aware of this type of discussion about them as it comes up so often.... I'll be curious to see what he has to say....

April 21' date=' 2009. That was the day I decided Guitar Center, Inc. will no longer get my business as well as everyone I know. That includes musiciansfriend, music123, and guitarcenter.com.

The present downturn in the economy must not effect the spending power of 15 yr old boys that love barely playing Metallica, and Ozzy riffs over and over again for hours while their parents shop next door. That’s is a good thing I guess, as GC apparently doesn’t need to sell $3000 Les Paul Custom Reissues “in this economy”. GC also must not need the $2500 I just spent today at americanmusical.com on recording gear, that would have gone to GC Edina, or the $3300 I spent yesterday on the 1968 Reissue LP Custom Authentic at American Guitar and Band (americanguitarandband.com) in Maple Grove, MN to replace the guitar I returned to GC. I guess it’s nice to know that while treating loyal customers like dirt, customers that have spent thousands of dollars over the past 10 yrs, GC will still be able to fall back on the occasional $200 BC Rich sale to said 15 yr old, to pay rent/salary/utilities/tax, etc.

Let me just say this to the Asst Mgr at the GC. Where else am I going to get this kind of service? Um.. prison, a gangbang, Ron Jeremys house, Zeds basement (Bring out the gimp), Iran, certain “massage” rooms. FYI – why would I really care about the COA? Because I paid for it? Why would you knowingly sell a Les Paul VOS Goldtop with the wrong case, box and no documentation? Why would you tell me first, I can keep this guitar while you order a replacement, then tell me GC never does that, when in fact GC has done it for me in the past? Why would you offer to refund $450 for my trouble and pay for the authentication, only to tell me 5 minutes later that it’s a better deal for me not to get a refund? (thank you sir, may I have another) Why would you tell me my fiancé lied? Why would you think I would give your company a dime again?

I do have to thank GC for having the worst customer service I have ever experienced. If not for that I wouldn’t have discovered American Guitar and Band in Maple Grove, MN. (americanguitarandband.com) Great people. They were willing to order from Gibson the exact model I returned to GC for the same price, and work with the dealer to get the right neck. Instead though, I went with a better guitar, for the same money. The GC sales manager told my fiancé it would take 6 months at least, to order a new guitar. I’ll get it in less than 2.

To be honest though, since GC ended haggling and put in place fixed pricing, they offer nothing more that showrooms to test gear before buying online and saving the tax. That’s like a 10% discount right there.

Awesome business model! Piss on the single 30-something, gear junky, musician types with disposible incomes. The guys that shopped at GC from the first day they opened in MPLS. The people that helped you put Knut Koupee out of business when you came. Keep up the good work boys! Hopefully, with some word of mouth on my end, an economy in the toilet and a lot of luck, GC will no longer exist in the MPLS area in the nearer future… just like Knut Koupee.

Seriously though, how well are those $2000+ Gibsons, Fenders, PRS that hang on your wall collecting dust selling these days? How about the Neumann mics, or Apogee interfaces you have in stock? Are SSL and Manley pulling in the $$ for ya? I know where I’m NOT getting high-end gear anymore. 10 years ago, people like me didn’t buy online. Experiences like this are the reason we do now.

P.S. If someone asks to see a guitar in your “special” high end glass room, and they aren’t 15, be aware they may actually have the cash in their pocket for that guitar. [/quote']

BTW Welcome to the forum.... You do know how to make an entrance....

Archived