Gibson Brands Forums

Another new guy

Foutoucour

Hey everyone,

I just joined the forum. I am a Les Paul aficionado. I have loved them since I bought my first electric guitar, an Epiphone Les Paul Classic Birdeyes, in 1996. I, after years of buying Epiphone, stepped up and started a collection of Gibson Les Paul, focusing on Classic models, my first love.

I recently have been the lucky new owner of a Classic Antique Guitar of the Week #14. The 2nd of the collection. The collection starts well 🙂

Merry Christmas everyone and take care,

ftc

• Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 9:46 PM, tx-ogre said:

Welcome aboard.  Les Paul Classics are great guitars.  I have a 2003 Classic with the 496R/500T pickups in it.  It definitely rips.  Weighs a ton though (10 lbs, 4 oz).

I have a 95 standard that beats that by close to 2 lbs!

got it's own center of gravity that one.  I don't mind it tho, it's a real sledgehammer. 

6 hours ago, kidblast said:

I have a 95 standard that beats that by close to 2 lbs!

got it's own center of gravity that one.  I don't mind it tho, it's a real sledgehammer. 

Holy crap!  I didn’t mind the weight early on, but after lower back surgery, right shoulder surgery, neck fusion surgery and now a partially-torn torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder (will probably eventually need surgery), it would be a bit challenging to play my Classic standing for extended periods of time.  Getting old ain’t for wimps.

Edited by tx-ogre
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

Holy crap!  I didn’t mind the weight early on, but after lower back surgery, right shoulder surgery, neck fusion surgery and now a partially-torn torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder (will probably eventually need surgery), it would be a bit challenging to play my Classic standing for extended periods of time.  Getting old ain’t for wimps.

true dat!!

I don't have the problems you are having,  well not yet anyway.  Definitely start to feel it about standing with it for about 30 minutes.  A wide padded strap does help, but it's still like a cinder block hanging from the shoulder 

I use either a wide leather Levy’s strap or one I had custom made for me many moons ago when I was living in Tucson.  I tried including the link to the strap on the strap maker’s website in Sydney, Australia, but the link doesn’t appear to be working.   Perhaps you will have better luck.  Embedded is a pic I was able to copy from her website of my strap:

USA

http://www.pccord.com/images/guitar_strap_no_23.jpg

On 12/25/2023 at 3:35 PM, tx-ogre said:

I just started playing again after 40 years. I have a cheap les paul knock off to get the rust off and I hate it. It weighs a ton, I was used to a Flying V, which is what I'm shopping for now.

On 12/30/2023 at 12:27 PM, geezer1 said:

I just started playing again after 40 years. I have a cheap les paul knock off to get the rust off and I hate it. It weighs a ton, I was used to a Flying V, which is what I'm shopping for now.

I try to play all my guitars equally, but most of the time I play them seated.  If I did start playing standing on a regular basis, I think I would develop a very close relationship with my two SGs or my 335.  My two Ltd guitars, one of which is a 7 string, are both lighter than my LP Classic.  Hell, even my Ibanez 6 string bass is lighter than my LP Classic.  But you just can’t beat the Classic for face-melting tone.  The reason I can’t see myself ever selling it.

I always wanted a Flying V.  Back in the day, I planned to buy a Gibson Faded V, but they stopped making them before I could “pull the trigger.”  Now they are entirely too proud of them.  Oh well.  Perhaps some day I will own one.  They are definitely unique.

Edited by tx-ogre

20 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

I try to play all my guitars equally, but most of the time I play them seated.  If I did start playing standing on a regular basis, I think I would develop a very close relationship with my two SGs or my 335.  My two Ltd guitars, one of which is a 7 string, are both lighter than my LP Classic.  Hell, even my Ibanez 6 string bass is lighter than my LP Classic.  But you just can’t beat the Classic for face-melting tone.  The reason I can’t see myself ever selling it.

I always wanted a Flying V.  Back in the day, I planned to buy a Gibson Faded V, but they stopped making them before I could “pull the trigger.”  Now they are entirely too proud of them.  Oh well.  Perhaps some day I will own one.  They are definitely unique.

I got used to playing the v seated when I practiced with the "crotch" of the v sitting on my right thigh. I was so used to it, I can't play the lp seated without a strap so the bottom of the guitar is in my lap with most of the neck outside my left shoulder.  If I had 6 grand to burn I'd buy a 79 silverbusrt v right now!!

2 hours ago, geezer1 said:

I got used to playing the v seated when I practiced with the "crotch" of the v sitting on my right thigh. I was so used to it, I can't play the lp seated without a strap so the bottom of the guitar is in my lap with most of the neck outside my left shoulder.  If I had 6 grand to burn I'd buy a 79 silverbusrt v right now!!

I started out playing seated with the guitar on my right thigh.  I’m right-handed.  However, I am very tall with long arms and found that my left arm was too constricted.  So I quickly shifted to playing with the guitar on my left thigh like a classical player.  So I always figured I could play a V seated pretty easily.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 10PoundLester said:

You have a 12-pound Lester???

close to it.  has a Vibrate and a B7 bigsby, which no doubt has a bit to do with things  but it was heavy as hell even before that

22 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

I started out playing seated with the guitar on my right thigh.  I’m right-handed.  However, I am very tall with long arms and found that my left arm was too constricted.  So I quickly shifted to playing with the guitar on my left thigh like a classical player.  So I always figured I could play a V seated pretty easily.

Absolutely! I'm 6'5", and now I have arthritis in my wrists and knuckles. Both my height and arthritis work against me using my right leg. I wonder if the v's on the Gibson website in the $2500 ish price range are any good? 

1 hour ago, geezer1 said:

Absolutely! I'm 6'5", and now I have arthritis in my wrists and knuckles. Both my height and arthritis work against me using my right leg. I wonder if the v's on the Gibson website in the $2500 ish price range are any good? 

Yeah, I’m 6’6” with 37” long arms.  I have both psoriatic and osteoarthritis in multiple joints, just not in my wrists, hands or fingers…yet anyway.  I had limited use of both arms and hands (especially my left arm and hand) for over a year due to serious cervical spine issues.   I was unable to move my fretting hand toward the nut of a guitar past the 7th fret, even playing off my left leg.   Fortunately, the neck fusion surgery has been successful and I have almost 100% use of both arms and hands again.  

Good luck with your search for a nice V.  I’ll be interested to hear about it.

On 1/2/2024 at 4:22 PM, tx-ogre said:

Yeah, I’m 6’6” with 37” long arms.  I have both psoriatic and osteoarthritis in multiple joints, just not in my wrists, hands or fingers…yet anyway.  I had limited use of both arms and hands (especially my left arm and hand) for over a year due to serious cervical spine issues.   I was unable to move my fretting hand toward the nut of a guitar past the 7th fret, even playing off my left leg.   Fortunately, the neck fusion surgery has been successful and I have almost 100% use of both arms and hands again.  

Good luck with your search for a nice V.  I’ll be interested to hear about it.

Wow, we have quite a bit in common. What I would give to have my 25-year-old body again. I'm glad your surgery was successful.  C-spine surgery is pretty frightening.  I will definitely update you on my quest to obtain my next V. What kind of guitars do you have? I'd like to get your opinion on them as our body types are similar. 

12 hours ago, geezer1 said:

Wow, we have quite a bit in common. What I would give to have my 25-year-old body again. I'm glad your surgery was successful.  C-spine surgery is pretty frightening.  I will definitely update you on my quest to obtain my next V. What kind of guitars do you have? I'd like to get your opinion on them as our body types are similar. 

The C-Spine was my 14th surgery and the second one performed by my neurosurgeon.  He also did my back surgery in 2017.  Everyone I have talked to in the medical community here say he’s the best one around.  He also did my wife’s brain surgery back in 2011.  Thankfully, she was been trouble-free since her surgery.

My guitars:

2002 Gibson Les Paul Faded Special w/Humbuckers

2003 Gibson Les Paul Classic (496R/500T pickups)

2004 SG Supreme

2004 Gibson ES-335 Dot Reissue

2006 Gibson ‘67 SG Special Reissue w/P90s

2015 Ltd H-7 (7 string) 40th Anniversary Model (Super Strat body style)

2015 Ltd MH-100 (Super Strat body style).  Won as a prize from ESP Guitars

I also have two 4 string basses and a 6 string bass.  The 6 string is my go-to.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2024 at 10:21 PM, tx-ogre said:

The C-Spine was my 14th surgery and the second one performed by my neurosurgeon.  He also did my back surgery in 2017.  Everyone I have talked to in the medical community here say he’s the best one around.  He also did my wife’s brain surgery back in 2011.  Thankfully, she was been trouble-free since her surgery.

My guitars:

2002 Gibson Les Paul Faded Special w/Humbuckers

2003 Gibson Les Paul Classic (496R/500T pickups)

2004 SG Supreme

2004 Gibson ES-335 Dot Reissue

2006 Gibson ‘67 SG Special Reissue w/P90s

2015 Ltd H-7 (7 string) 40th Anniversary Model (Super Strat body style)

2015 Ltd MH-100 (Super Strat body style).  Won as a prize from ESP Guitars

I also have two 4 string basses and a 6 string bass.  The 6 string is my go-to.

I'm a Gibson man too. Sorry about your surgeries. I've had 3 and I thought that was bad. Nobody understands the woes of a back injury until they have one. Speaking about guitars, my first electric was a 1968 Epiphone. My second was a Gibson RD I bought in 1977. My 3rd and favorite was the silver burst Flying V I bought in 1979. That's the one I fell in love with. Life showed up and I sold it. Didn't touch another guitar until Last year.  

2 hours ago, geezer1 said:

I'm a Gibson man too. Sorry about your surgeries. I've had 3 and I thought that was bad. Nobody understands the woes of a back injury until they have one. Speaking about guitars, my first electric was a 1968 Epiphone. My second was a Gibson RD I bought in 1977. My 3rd and favorite was the silver burst Flying V I bought in 1979. That's the one I fell in love with. Life showed up and I sold it. Didn't touch another guitar until Last year.  

I half-heartedly made some brief attempts at learning to play when I was younger, but it wasn’t until 2003 (age 43) that I made a serious effort to learn after my first health scare.  Definitely convinced me to stop putting it off.  

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 3:46 PM, tx-ogre said:

I half-heartedly made some brief attempts at learning to play when I was younger, but it wasn’t until 2003 (age 43) that I made a serious effort to learn after my first health scare.  Definitely convinced me to stop putting it off.  

Have you noticed any change in learning new songs? It seemed like I could learn a song in like a half hour or so when I was young. Now I find myself struggling to put each lead phrase in the right place, and it takes me hours, sometimes days to get to a point where I'm not forgetting , loosing my place, or leaving out lead phrases. 

On 2/4/2024 at 3:15 PM, geezer1 said:

Have you noticed any change in learning new songs? It seemed like I could learn a song in like a half hour or so when I was young. Now I find myself struggling to put each lead phrase in the right place, and it takes me hours, sometimes days to get to a point where I'm not forgetting , loosing my place, or leaving out lead phrases. 

Well, I never stuck with it long enough when I was young to spend much time learning songs.  So I can’t really make a comparison between then and now.  It probably does take me longer to learn songs nowadays than it does an average person.  Some things I learn relatively quickly, other things seem to take forever.

• Like 1