Gibson Brands Forums

Elderly Instruments purchase, is this normal?

PrairieDog

2 minutes ago, Murph said:

Sweet.

Now, don't play so damned loud...

šŸ¤£ You hit the nail on my head! Iā€™m so shy about playing out loud, note itā€™s the open back version, already quieter compared to the resos, and I can even stuff a towel in it to mute it more, if needed. Plus Iā€™m playing with my fingerpads instead of picks. Ā Practically canā€™t hear myself, much less anyone being offended outside the music room, even with the pass through hole in the wall šŸ˜† Ā 

I jam sometimes with an old 1/2 deaf dude that has no idea how loud his banjo is, and it's too loud. He plays leads at the same volume that he plays when you're singing, or someone else is doing a solo, or whatever.

I was just razzin' ya....

\:D/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Oh man, such a gorgeous instrument!

Congrats, and we're happy to hear the satisfactory outcome.

šŸ˜ƒ

Thanks Sparq! Ā Yeah, I canā€™t believe this is, ā€œMy first banjo!ā€ I canā€™t put it down. Ā thanks for the encouragement about the situation, too. Ā Being new here, I gotta ask, you seem hip to banjos, do you play? Ā I was going to post over in the banjo area, but that room seems kinda quiet these days. Ā 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Murph said:

I jam sometimes with an old 1/2 deaf dude that has no idea how loud his banjo is, and it's too loud. He plays leads at the same volume that he plays when you're singing, or someone else is doing a solo, or whatever.

I was just razzin' ya....

\:D/

ā˜ŗļø and a good razz it is. But seriously, for someone who loves making music, I have a near phobia about drawing attention to myself. Ā Reason my early promising career never launched. Ā I had folks interested, but when it got down to it, the stage fright had me quit entirely rather than take the risk. Of course, at 17, I really believed death from embarrassment was a thing. Ā Decades older, Iā€™m Ā getting better. I even got up and sang a decent few songs at a trad song a capella meet up. Ā  As much as regaining my finger chops Iā€™m working on quashing the bugaboos, and even looking forward to jamming with our friends this summer on the deck without hyperventilating šŸ˜„

Edited by PrairieDog

8 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Thanks Sparq! Ā Yeah, I canā€™t believe this is, ā€œMy first banjo!ā€ I canā€™t put it down. Ā thanks for the encouragement about the situation, too. Ā Being new here, I gotta ask, you seem hip to banjos, do you play? Ā I was going to post over in the banjo area, but that room seems kinda quiet these days. Ā 

I play some banjo, but only for specific performance and recording projects.

Never owned one, but I have borrowed more than a few of them for this or that.

A good friend of mine took up banjo lessons a few years ago, and then he got good at it and bought an old Gibson banjo that feels and sounds just great.
Adam Mouser is his name, and he would join us upon occasion.
We would have him play with us on Dueling Banjos, of course. And also Man Of Constant Sorrows, some Eagles, and a few others.
One by The Darlings (from The Andy Griffith Show),Ā  Salty Dog.

This is Adam.
He's one of the good ones.

1697233230679?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=QjQ2
Ā 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I play some banjo, but only for specific performance and recording projects.

Never owned one, but I have borrowed more than a few of them for this or that.

A good friend of mine took up banjo lessons a few years ago, and then he got good at it and bought an old Gibson banjo that feels and sounds just great.
Adam Mouser is his name, and he would join us upon occasion.
We would have him play with us on Dueling Banjos, of course. And also Man Of Constant Sorrows, some Eagles, and a few others.
One by The Darlings (from The Andy Griffith Show),Ā  Salty Dog.

This is Adam.
He's one of the good ones.

1697233230679?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=QjQ2
Ā 

Well, heā€™s a good lookinā€™ fellow. Ā I gotta admit, being of that age, the Ā first lick Iā€™ve learned is the opening bars to Dueling Banjos. Lol. Ā I need to get my rolls down to get the break mastered, but it had to be done. Ā I have now gone Ā back in correct order and am learning Cripple Creek just like every newbie is required to from what I can tell from all the online tutorials and ā€œhow to learn banjoā€ books. Ā šŸ˜„