Gibson Brands Forums

Got Music again NCMSD

I just got this little Ruark R3 music system. Its a big deal inasmuch as I've been starved of music (except for my guitar) for the 3 months its taken me to renovate & kit out the 2 rooms I spend most of my time in. 

I've figured out the Dab, FM and Internet Radio (other streaming stuff like Spotify I'll figure out later), but I'm listening to CDs now.

So there are some  30 CDs marked for re-evaluation. That means I've only given them a couple of plays since I got them and trying to decide what to keep. So far I've reviewed these:

Danny Thompson - Whatever (keep)

Bela Fleck & the Flecktones - eponymous (keep)

Bert Jansch - When The Circus Comes To Town (keep)

Hefner - Breaking God's Heart (leaving)

Poi Dog Pondering - Electrique Plummagram (leaving)

Its a relief to be able to listen to something other than me after all this time. 

I've reserved John Martyn for this evening.

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I just got this little Ruark R3 music system. Its a big deal inasmuch as I've been starved of music (except for my guitar) for the 3 months its taken me to renovate & kit out the 2 rooms I spend most of my time in. 

I've figured out the Dab, FM and Internet Radio (other streaming stuff like Spotify I'll figure out later), but I'm listening to CDs now.

So there are some  30 CDs marked for re-evaluation. That means I've only given them a couple of plays since I got them and trying to decide what to keep. So far I've reviewed these:

Danny Thompson - Whatever (keep)

Bela Fleck & the Flecktones - eponymous (keep)

Bert Jansch - When The Circus Comes To Town (keep)

Hefner - Breaking God's Heart (leaving)

Poi Dog Pondering - Electrique Plummagram (leaving)

Its a relief to be able to listen to something other than me after all this time. 

I've reserved John Martyn for this evening.

John is a keeper, listen to him, but man is he good.

Which album? Solid Air, Sunday’s Child and One World are John classics.

I’ve got the album The Apprentice out ready to go for later. It also has an entire full concert from someplace called the Shaw Theater, and on the second half of the show David Gilmore makes a guest appearance. This was recorded sometime in 1990.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

14 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

John is a keeper, listen to him, but man is he good.

Which album? Solid Air, Sunday’s Child and One World are John classics.

I’ve got the album The Apprentice out ready to go for later. It also has an entire full concert from someplace called the Shaw Theater, and on the second half of the show David Gilmore makes a guest appearance. This was recorded sometime in 1990.

Oh yes. John M is strictly for indulgence, and not up for dismissal! I should have made that clear. It will be Solid Air & Inside Out this evening. I don't think I know One World?! I also have BBC Radio 1 Live , Sapphire and the Live double. I saw him just once at a small venue at home in Portsmouth. 

GreyFolded (John Oswald's spliced up Grateful Dead's Dark Star) is leaving. 

'Bill Frisell with Dave Holland and Elvin Jones' is also leaving. I got this because it features my favourite Drummer & Bass player. It's 'ok' but I wont listen to it again.

18 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Oh yes. John M is strictly for indulgence, and not up for dismissal! I should have made that clear. It will be Solid Air & Inside Out this evening. I don't think I know One World?! I also have BBC Radio 1 Live , Sapphire and the Live double. I saw him just once at a small venue at home in Portsmouth. 

GreyFolded (John Oswald's spliced up Grateful Dead's Dark Star) is leaving. 

'Bill Frisell with Dave Holland and Elvin Jones' is also leaving. I got this because it features my favourite Drummer & Bass player. It's 'ok' but I wont listen to it again.

As a Dead fan I hate Dark Star. Thank the lord I never had to endure it in the live setting. Drums and Space Jams are for pee breaks. 

Inside Out was a strange album.  Solid Air is so damn good,

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

As a Dead fan I hate Dark Star. Thank the lord I never had to endure it in the live setting. Drums and Space Jams are for pee breaks. 

Inside Out was a strange album.  Solid Air is so damn good,

Funny but TBH I've had enough of Dark Star. It's hard to admit because they did it so well early on. Unlike other songs it never developed. It just became slower & longer. 

They rearranged Wharf Rat more than once. Not just let it evolve. It was terrific. Similar with Brokedown palace.

1 minute ago, merciful-evans said:

Funny but TBH I've had enough of Dark Star. It's hard to admit because they did it so well early on. Unlike other songs it never developed. It just became slower & longer. 

They rearranged Wharf Rat more than once. Not just let it evolve. It was terrific. Similar with Brokedown palace.

Wharf Rat is such a great song. Saw them do it a time or two.

last night's listening was so good. The Ruark is absolutely great. It's small but it delivers.

More CDs on the line: Fate decided

(leaving) Jethro Tull - Aqualung

(leaving) Anthony Braxton - Eugene (leaving)       hard choice as I quite like track 4. I had several Braxton LPs on vinyl. Now I'll have none on anything!

(Staying) Gary Duncan (Quicksilver) - Strange Trim. Entirely down to the final track 'Deja Voodoo' live. Glad I rediscovered that. Its terrific. I would link it if a vid was available.

(leaving) Whiskeytown - Strangers Almanac        once more the preferred track is at the end 'Not Home Anymore'

(Staying) Cecil Taylor Unit / Roswell Rudd Sextet - Mixed.    Not only staying, this will be getting LOTS of plays 

29 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Stand Up is Staying, It was one of the first albums I ever bought. It was their current LP at that time. 

I'm reviewing 'Whos Next' deluxe edition right now. Quite enjoying 'Baby Dont You Do It'  

Who's Next is really good. I prefer Quad.

I got a bunch to let go now, and still working on it. Rather than doing the negative report again, I thought it would be good to share what I rediscovered. Today I listened to Rob Wasserman's Trios. 

This trio is Chris Whitely & Les Claypool

This one is Elvis Costello & Mark Ribot

Also features are many great artists including Willie Dixon, Brian Wilson, Jerry Garcia etc etc

The whole thing is excellent.

41 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I got a bunch to let go now, and still working on it. Rather than doing the negative report again, I thought it would be good to share what I rediscovered. Today I listened to Rob Wasserman's Trios. 

This trio is Chris Whitely & Les Claypool

This one is Elvis Costello & Mark Ribot

Also features are many great artists including Willie Dixon, Brian Wilson, Jerry Garcia etc etc

The whole thing is excellent.

Wasserman I think toured with Bob Weir.