Gibson Brands Forums

Still looking for replacement tuners for my L-00 Standard...

So after months of researching I still can't seem to find an easy replacement for the Grover mini-rotomatics on my L-00 standard. They work fine I just much prefer the look of the plastic butter bean tuners. Any advice or expertise would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much in advance!

Not possible to find a set of bean knob tuners that are a direct replacement for Grovers.  All the bean-knobbed sets I've seen use press-in post bushings while Grovers are bolted into a much larger hole.  And they have the little offset arm for the screw that is just plain ugly.  If you really want to make this swap you'll need to remove the Grovers, plug the screw holes in the back of the headstock and use a set of oversize press-in bushings from StewMac...........they may or may not have the right size to fill the Grover post bore properly........might have to have the post bores plugged and re-drilled for the smaller post.  It can be done but to be done right will take some skill and patience (which might be your long suite!)  

I bought a used L00 Mahogany that had the Grovers. I too prefer the look of the plastic buttons. I just put on a set of Golden Aged tuners. It almost covered up the old holes. Good enough for me. I could probably touch up the color, but it works for me.

s-l1600 (3) 52683938272_aedf236c53_b.jpg

Edited by Dave F

thanks guys! Buc I can still see the holes on your headstock which would drive me nuts. Also I've been underwhelmed by the quality of those golden age tuners I've tried on other guitars, really appreciate the responses fellas much apprecited

15 minutes ago, Buc McMaster said:

Yep........that worked.  Did you have to use reducer bushings in the headstock?

Can't remember but I think I did. Those grovers use large holes. I do not like the large washers on the grovers. They left an imprint on the headstock.

52684877645_808ef21fe7_b.jpg

golden age dim's

If I remember correctly, the Schaller M6 is a direct drop-in replacement for the Grovers. They have a lot of aftermarket buttons that may work. I've used them to replace Grovers but I used them with the Imperial knobs. You may want to try that route if you find the right button.

LuuTC0X.jpegS9Wq75E.jpeg

Waverly. But you’ll need to use the conversion bushings and polish out the raccoon eyes on the face of the headstock by hand using Scratch-X, followed by Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound, and then polish. If you’re patient and careful, it comes out well. I did this on my J-45 Standard.