Gibson Brands Forums

Filing Nut Slots With Torch Tip Cleaning Files: Has anyone tried this hack?

I saw a YouTube video, where a guy gave two options to cheaply but accurately file nut slots. 1.) Cut little notches in the edge of a feeler gauge, essentially turning it into a little file of the exact correct size.  2.) Get a set of torch tip cleaners, sold at Napa Auto Parts for welders. It's a little case about 1.5 inches by 3 inches, and inside are a set of little round metal files of varying sizes for about $10. I just bought a pack, but I figured I'd get people's opinions on here.  Has anyone had success with this? Does it seem like it could work?

Forney 86119 Tip Cleaner, Long

I tried the tip cleaners and did not care for them.

I had the guys in the shop wire cut saw teeth in the feeler gages and they work great. I also had them do a set of ignition feeler gages that work great for bridge pin slots.

53553689772_d169482e4a_m.jpg

53554881169_79de06969e_m.jpg

• Like 1

I use a little needle file (for violins?) for the EADG strings and a modified coping saw blade for the BE. Not a perfect world, mine. 

I do have a set of the torch tip style, bought directly from China about 10 years ago. A couple sets maybe. Never used them until recently.

I would NOT attempt to cut a nut from scratch with them. HOWEVER they work quite well when lowering an existing nut.  Most of the time you're taking 0.010" or whatever. Best to keep the dial calipers on hand so you don't forget which one you were just using.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2024 at 7:06 PM, Dave F said:

I tried the tip cleaners and did not care for them.

I had the guys in the shop wire cut saw teeth in the feeler gages and they work great. I also had them do a set of ignition feeler gages that work great for bridge pin slots.

53553689772_d169482e4a_m.jpg

53554881169_79de06969e_m.jpg

Yes! the video I saw with the torch tip cleaning files also showed this. He said you could just use a file to cut the jagged edges on the feeler gauges. I was thinking of that too, but I figured the other idea was an actual file. Do you think it makes a difference that the torch tip cleaning files would file a rounded-bottom slot, where as these would file a flat-bottom slot, unless they are angled in a way to file a v-shape slot?