Gibson Brands Forums

Lost

Hi there,

I've posted a few questions and I've always received good advice thanks.

I’m not a guitarist. I’m trying to finish building a guitar my friend was building before he passed away.

My problem this time:

I was trying to fit the bridge humbucker but there is not enough room. Was my friend wanting an angle or should this be flat like the neck pick up, which fitted nicely?

Do I need to make (mill out) more space for the pick up?

thanks for the advice.

Jim

IMG_0415.jpeg

IMG_0414.jpeg

IMG_0412.jpeg

IMG_0411.jpeg

IMG_0413.jpeg

Hi James

The pickup needs to be flat like the neck one; so yes you do need to make the bridge side of the hole vertical - it looks like it's been roughly done and the guy didn't complete that bit.

I am not an expert but from what I can see the rest of it looks very neat.  One for @Rabs perhaps? 🎸[thumbup]

Good luck and best wishes.

Hard to say exactly from the pictures. But it depends on the neck angle. If there is one. From the pictures you are using a wrap around bridge or something like it which will mean you would need the neck to be at an angle for it to work..

This sort of explains it. And if you have a neck angle then you want the bridge pickup to be angled too or at least taller than the neck surround.. But if its a flat top which it looks like it is then you want a flat bottomed pickup surround.

1LsnI5F.png

gNrSX9H.png

Edited by Rabs
  • Thanks 1