Gibson Brands Forums

Replacing min-etune by manual nuts. Which model?

spacef

Hello! I was reading this thread about replacing min-e-tune by manual nuts (link below) and my question is:

will they all fit or do i need a specific model?

My guitar is an SG standard 2013.

I am replacing min etune because it broke a while ago, guitar fell too often 🙂

I would prefer metal nuts with string lock as it is now.. but will go for anything that works ans is easily mountable/ available. I am in france/ EU

Thanks

Original Thread (closed )

Well from what I understand, there are no holes drilled in the back of the neck for the usual tuners so, if say you were replacing current manual tuners, the only thing I would want is to match the positions of the holes already drilled. But as said that shouldnt be an issue. All you have to worry about is the size of the tuner post hole. If its the standard size then you can use any tuners that will fit a USA made model. Cos say the Chinese made ones, they use the metric measurements where the US ones use the imperial system.

• Upvote 1

Here's a link to the Gibson tuners page: 

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Collection/tuning

It looks like he used Gibson Deluxe tuners with green Keystone buttons to replace the Min-ETune tuners on his guitar. This set: 

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/PMMH-Vintage/PMMH-010

They are also available with yellow (cream) Keystone buttons if you prefer those over the green ones:

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/PMMH-050/PMMH-050

I have a 2013 SG Standard with Min-ETune tuners. Mine still work, but I will probably have to replace them eventually since it seems that it's becoming harder to get parts from the original manufacturer. The hole diameter is about 10mm, so anything with a post diameter of slightly under that size should work without requiring reaming the holes to make them larger. As Rabs said, there are no holes in the headstock for mounting the pegs with the Min-ETune gears, so you'll have to align the tuners and do the drilling for the mounting holes for the new tuners, but that's probably going to be the hardest part of the whole process. If you like locking tuners, you might want to look into Grover Locking Rotomatics. I'm not sure if those have the same sized posts as the Gibson Deluxe tuners, so you'll need to research that if you decide you want to go that route. 

Good luck with your project, and please post pics once you get it done! 

Thanks for the advices and references. 

I will certainly ending doing it, planned for somewhere in the next 2 months.If this topic is closed, I will open a new one, for pics.

Thanks again