Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson j-45 60s reissue (ebony and wine red models). Experience?

Hi - and heps for the new slope. Very curious to hear your thoughts on the adjustable saddle -                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   and it is of course written in my manuscript to recommend you the real ceramic version. Quite rare, not cheap, , , but worth it. 

So please keep us up🎈dated

Posted (edited)

Em… I like it. This slope has a nice neck, a great look (looks more brown than red) and the adj sound is definitely different than any fixed saddle I’ve played. I’ve had an adj experience before that was tonally positive…. A square. It came and went like they all do… because one eye wanders.

It came with a Tusq saddle, and I also have a bone saddle I bought. I just looked where I could find a ceramic saddle to try out.. they are not anywhere. I’ll keep an eye out. Same for rosewood. I love trying things like this.

Its funny. I tried to buy an Eastman slope based on positive memories from 8years back. They have since changed the finish from nitro to a type of poly. The tone is unpleasing to me- brash, thin, and  2 dimensional. This J45 follows right on its heels, and the contrast is stark.

Edited by MorristownSal

15 hours ago, MorristownSal said:

Em… I like it. This slope has a nice neck, a great look (looks more brown than red) and the adj sound is definitely different than any fixed saddle I’ve played. I’ve had an adj experience before that was tonally positive…. A square. It came and went like they all do… because one eye wanders.

It came with a Tusq saddle, and I also have a bone saddle I bought. I just looked where I could find a ceramic saddle to try out.. they are not anywhere. I’ll keep an eye out. Same for rosewood. I love trying things like this.

Its funny. I tried to buy an Eastman slope based on positive memories from 8years back. They have since changed the finish from nitro to a type of poly. The tone is unpleasing to me- brash, thin, and  2 dimensional. This J45 follows right on its heels, and the contrast is stark.

Yes, I think the adjustable square is remembered - was it a contemporary Country Western.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Anyway, have fun experimenting. Both the guitar and you deserve the investigation. . 

• 2 weeks later...

Well…

I dig the guitar.  It did need a pretty drastic setup. I know post purchase the real reason the prior seller must have sold it… he or she tinkered too much. The neck bow was too steep. And they brought the truss rod nut to the point of break.  I had a north jersey shop straighten the neck and lube and correct the truss rod. It plays like butter now. Ironically, this is the second used guitar that came to me this way. The other one turned out to be a fantastic J45 as well.

Also, I bought a bone adjustable saddle from Philadelphia Luthiers, and have gone back and forth with the Tusq saddle. They are VERY different. The bone saddle brings power, and just a thicker sound all around. Beefier trebles as well. I initially thought “wow, that’s an amazing upgrade!” Yet today I tinkered and put the Tusq saddle back in with a string change, and man… this sound is pleasing too. It’s a Bird sound. More quiet, but more harmonious. That “syrupy” word comes to mind. Well anyways, I like this version better…CURRENTLY.   🙂

2 hours ago, MorristownSal said:

I dig the guitar.

Well alright then.  It takes some time to get a guitar dialed in to one's preferences.............some instruments respond and suit the need, others just turn out to have been a poor choice.   Glad to hear this one worked out for you!