Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson j-45 60s reissue (ebony and wine red models). Experience?

Have any of you bought one of these reissues?

I’ve never tried a Gibson J-45 with the adjustable saddle. They have an 11/16 neck, which likely works for me. Just curious how they sound? I know there is a school that thinks all of these saddles should be converted to a fixed one, but I’d love a real world tonal opinion. Thanks…

I haven’t played one but the one on Sweetwater site looks great. I do have a ‘68  J50 Adjustable but I made a rosewood insert to hold a standard drop-in saddle out of necessity that works great. I did not glue anything in and can pull it out and go back to the adjustable. It had a rosewood adjustable saddle that did not sound bad but had to replace it to adjust the intonation. 

I have the J-50 version from 2020 and really like it (IIRC, they have discontinued the J-50 version now). Have posted about it a few times, such as the link below. I like the sound of the tusq saddle and adjustable bridge myself. I would ignore comments about the "real" 1960's Gibsons with adjustable saddles. Their construction was completely different from the re-issues, they had a heavy wood plate under the bridge which dampens the sound. But the re-issues are built just like any othe modern gibson but they just have the different style bridge.

Also, don't attach too much significance to the narrower neck. It's true that the nut is more narrow, but the carve of the neck is very similar to the standard neck on modern Gibsons. If I was blindfolded, not sure if I could tell the difference myself.

https://forum.gibson.com/topic/178597-okay-okay-okay/?do=findComment&comment=2210145

Edited by Boyd

I have a 2006 CS 1964 J45 sunburst that I bought new from Fullers.  I compared mine to an authentic 1965 J45 sunburst and they were really pretty close.  The 1965’s neck might have been slightly narrower, but one has to remember back then every neck might have slightly differed due to their hand carving.  It was basically the same visually. Mine, of course had a tusk saddle.   

I later switched the tusk saddle out for a bone saddle and liked it better for a few years.  But, by then my guitar had opened up considerably and I put the tusk saddle back in to hear how it sounded.  I haven’t removed the tusk saddle now for about 6-7 years and it’s now my preference in it.

Mine is a lot louder and fuller sounding than it was when I first purchased it new.  These things really do open up.  It’s one of my favorite guitars.

QM aka “Jazzman Jeff

17 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

I have a 2006 CS 1964 J45 sunburst that I bought new from Fullers.  I compared mine to an authentic 1965 J45 sunburst and they were really pretty close.

I don't know anything about the 2006 custom shop J45, but like I said, I have a  2020 J-50 version of the same guitar and also a "real" 1965 J-50.  Visually, it's clearly a tribute to the 60's guitars, I think it's very handsome. The adjustable bridge is also very faithful (aside from the tusq). Nice replicas of period-correct Kluson tuners as well. But that's about as far as the similarities go. The pickguard is the same shape but much thinner plastic (personally, I think the thick pickguard on my real 1965 J-50 looks cool). The neck on the 2020 re-issue is not "slightly" different from my real 1965 guitar - it's dramatically different. The nut width is the same, but the shape is not at all similar. However, I know necks were in a state of change during the period 1960-1969.  But the internal construction of the 2020 re-issue is completely different from the real 1965 guitar - it's basically the same as the current J-45 Standard inside.  IMO, this is a good thing.

I found another thread about this guitar here

https://forum.gibson.com/topic/166944-gibson-1967-j45-adj-vs-new-historic-1942-banner-j45/

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys.  I’m going to give it a shot.  There is a used one nearby for 1900, and I’m curious. I think I’d like the J-50 adj most of all… but they should sound like relatives. This should be a good test drive. 

on and it’s a wine red one,

Edited by MorristownSal
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Arrived.  Keeping it.  11/16 nut… I love.  Deep neck. Very full shape, which I am sure contributes to a deep tone. This is a great guitar.

I did take off the white batwing. I replaced it with the old Holter Pickguard that once came off my J45-TV.

pleased! 

TXjwWn0h.jpg

Edited by MorristownSal
  • Like 5

That does look good. Gibson made quite a few maple bodied J-45s in that finish… (always tempting😎).

Good move changing out that pickguard, too.

Were you asking about the “Ebony“ models, or is this one supposed to have Ebony board and bridge?

Congrats

Posted (edited)

I was mostly wondering about the adjustable bridge. And the neck. 

This one has its share of dings … but the price reflected it and I’m ok with that. 

I think it has a tusq saddle.  Wondering what changes bone would bring?  

anyways I’ll put it through the paces this weekend. 

and thanks for the congrats

Edited by MorristownSal

I played it for hours last night… Boyd was right about the neck. Dramatically different than the real deal latter 60s models. Yes it has the 11/16 nut width, but the neck is deep and wide. Like the 50s reissue necks. Much deeper than the standards as well.

i didn’t like the neck when I tried it on an LG-2 banner reissue back in 2016 or so, but that nut was wider. 

this neck is… different.  Played it for several hours last night, and my hands adjusted fine. Maybe the nut width. Maybe because I like the tone and am more willing to adjust? I don’t know. But man… the difference between the tone 1 minute in and 2 hours in… stark.

i took off the old strings and it sports Martin  80/20s now.  I dig. She stays. The cheapie guitar goes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MorristownSal said:

Boyd was right about the neck. Dramatically different than the real deal latter 60s models. Yes it has the 11/16 nut width, but the neck is deep and wide. Like the 50s reissue necks. Much deeper than the standards as well.

Interesting observation. I also have a 2008 J-50 Modern Classic. AFAIK, the neck on that guitar is the same as a J-45 standard. I've A-B'ed the 60's re-issue and Modern Classic quite a bit and think the necks are very similar aside from nut width - certainly not "much deeper". But maybe there's a difference between the J-50 and J-45 re-issues?

I recall that they raised the price of the 60's original series a few years ago - shortly after I bought mine. I got mine used at Guitar Center for $1,700 and it could have passed for new. It's interesting to see that you feel $1,900 was a good price today for a guitar with "its share of dings". Guess that's just the result of Gibson's price increases.

About a year after I got mine, the bridge started separating from the body on one side. It's not going anywhere because of the bolts for the adjustable saddle and it doesn't seem to affect the sound. But eventually I'll need to get it fixed. IIRC, there's another thread somewhere here about a recent model Gibson with a lifted bridge. Hopefully these are just exceptions to the rule.

Glad you're having fun with the new guitar, still really love mine although haven't had much time to play it recently.

• Like 1

Very nice, Sal..........good score!  I have been eyeballing a left handed model of this very guitar for some months now..........it's still available.....  If my Marshall 1974X amp sells before it disappears I might own one of these myself.

(I do like the original white guard better than the teardrop though.)

• Like 1

Boyd, I don’t know about the j-50 60s reissue neck carve. I’ll try to measure this one later and post pics. I also hope that the bridge is not an issue!

maybe I’m too aggressive in describing its “share of dings”; there are maybe 4or5 dings on the top. None serious. If I were buying new, from my favorite shop, I’d figure I’d pay $2500 plus tax. So, $1900 vs $2650 is a good enough savings for me. I fully acknowledge I’m not the most aggressive negotiator though.

thanks Buc!  The color is awesome.

• Like 1

Boyd, I measured around the neck at the 1st fret… fret metal around to fret metal…  on the following:

2009 Martin D15  11/16 nut MLO : 2.5”
2023 Martin 000 Cherry Hill 1.75 nut MLO performing artist taper: 2.7”

2023 Gibson 60s J45 Original 11/16 nut : 3.0”

it feels meaty.

34 minutes ago, MorristownSal said:

Boyd, I measured around the neck at the 1st fret… fret metal around to fret metal…  on the following:

2009 Martin D15  11/16 nut MLO : 2.5”
2023 Martin 000 Cherry Hill 1.75 nut MLO performing artist taper: 2.7”

2023 Gibson 60s J45 Original 11/16 nut : 3.0”

it feels meaty.

That's great to hear. 'Just measured the LG-2 50's re-ish. . . it's 2.75+". But it is full. The All-hog LG-2 Reissue was almost ridiculous, in a "be careful what you ask for" kind of way. A good neck profile would be one that is almost invisible to the player- sounds like you found yours.

Awaiting your first clip.

• Like 1

Wow, that looks like a good deal, considering the fact that prices on that model went up a few hundred dollars since I got mine in 2021! But, of course, you wanted the red wine J-45 and perhaps that sells for a premium over the J-50?

On 3/29/2024 at 6:21 PM, Boyd said:

Interesting observation. I also have a 2008 J-50 Modern Classic. AFAIK, the neck on that guitar is the same as a J-45 standard. I've A-B'ed the 60's re-issue and Modern Classic quite a bit and think the necks are very similar aside from nut width - certainly not "much deeper". But maybe there's a difference between the J-50 and J-45 re-issues?

I recall that they raised the price of the 60's original series a few years ago - shortly after I bought mine. I got mine used at Guitar Center for $1,700 and it could have passed for new. It's interesting to see that you feel $1,900 was a good price today for a guitar with "its share of dings". Guess that's just the result of Gibson's price increases.

About a year after I got mine, the bridge started separating from the body on one side. It's not going anywhere because of the bolts for the adjustable saddle and it doesn't seem to affect the sound. But eventually I'll need to get it fixed. IIRC, there's another thread somewhere here about a recent model Gibson with a lifted bridge. Hopefully these are just exceptions to the rule.

Glad you're having fun with the new guitar and Home Additions Contractor Bellevue, still really love mine although haven't had much time to play it recently.

I’ve never tried a Gibson J-45 with the adjustable saddle. They have an 11/16 neck, which likely works for me. Just curious how they sound? I know there is a school that thinks all of these saddles should be converted to a fixed one, but I’d love a real world tonal opinion. Thanks!

12 hours ago, cayine said:

Just curious how they sound? I know there is a school that thinks all of these saddles should be converted to a fixed one, but I’d love a real world tonal opinion. Thanks!

I love the way mine sounds. I posted a link to an old thread above, that thread has some videos that apparently compare the sound to other guitars (I haven't watched them).

https://forum.gibson.com/topic/166944-gibson-1967-j45-adj-vs-new-historic-1942-banner-j45/

I recently acquired a 2016 60's J-45 in wine red with the big white pickguard from Lowe Vintage Guitars in Burlington, NC.  This shop is HIGHLY recommended.  My new guitar search began with the notion I should find a good L-00 model.  I played a number of guitars and Eddie Lowe handed me the wine red Gibson and said, " do you want to hear what a great J-45 sounds like?" After playing it and numerous other guitars, I left the shop and began weighing my experience with each guitar.  I could not get the wine red Gibson off my mind.  Well, you know how it ends and I'm here to tell you it is a GREAT Gibson.  I was reluctant because I was a little iffy about the white pick guard and thought it might be redundant to my beloved Hummingbird.  After a month of playing, it is a different beast than my Bird and I now I absolutely love the look of this guitar.  Now, every brownish Gibson burst I see looks like a pair of ugly brown boots! A couple of things: my guitar is a Custom Shop guitar that left the Bozeman shop with a fixed saddle.  I'm not sure what other differences this Custom Shop guitar may have with the regular 60'2 J-45's. Bone nut? Torrefied top?  Different neck profile?  Any insight to that would be much appreciated.  Bottom line, I am utterly blown away by this guitar.  A keeper for sure.

Welcome to the forums, Piedmont Picker. Sounds like you're really liking your new Gibson!

In my opinion, there's definitely a difference in the sound between a J-45 and a Hummingbird, even though they're usually made of the same materials (Sitka spruce top/mahogany neck, back, and sides, etc.)

I am familiar with the standard Gibson 60s J-45, but I'm not familiar with a Gibson Custom 60s J-45. It's possible the store purchased some special-order custom-spec guitars, and that is what you have. The store you purchased it from might be able to provide more details. You can also reach out to Gibson Customer Service (1-800-4GIBSON) with your serial number and they might be able to provide more information about your guitar. 

Short of seeing it in person, or seeing some photos of it, if it is a special order from the Custom Shop, there's no way for us to tell you what you have. The neck might be similar in profile or slightly different, the nut, saddle, and bridge pins might all be bone (or not...), the top may or may not be thermally aged, etc. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell you based on the info we have since it's not a current production Acoustic Custom model that I'm aware of. Sounds like a sweet guitar, though! I've never been a big fan of those adjustable bridges, so having a fixed bridge sounds like a big plus to me. 🙂 

PO, thanks for the information.  I will soon figure out how to post pics here and do so. Yes, I am particularly pleased that my Hummingbird and the J-45 live in unique sonic territory.  This is my first slope shouldered dred and it is remarkable how different it feels to a square shouldered dred.  I am so glad to have found this guitar!