Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups..

Towzend

I want to fit a pickup in my J200.. but i dont want the undersaddle type, most of them ive searched through

are "Undersaddle".. or soundhole type & i hate those.. no, i want one thats hidden inside the gee'tar all

discreet like!

Any ideas guys..

Hi Towzend,

eBay is the best place.

Even with shipping and potential duty added in they're cheaper from the US than sourced in the UK. I fitted one recently to my Hummingbird and, drilling the 12mm hole aside, it was simple. PM me if you want the full story :-&

I have the K & K Mini Western installed in my Gibson Advanced Jumbo. It is the most natural sounding pickup I ever used. It works fine alone if used through a good amp, but shines even more when combined with a good DI pre-amp box. I have an LR Baggs PARA DI that works well with all three of my guitars and the 3 different pickups. The K & K does not feature a preamp in the assembly which means you don't have to deal with swapping out the 9 volt battery on the inside of your guitar. The PARA DI provides the pre-amp boost externally.

Mine with the install cost less than $180 last year.

Here is a link to one that Elderly sells that can give you more information.

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/KK3.htm

I would assume you can find them in the UK but if not, Ebay would be a good alternate. I am not very skillful with tools and wanted it installed properly so I had my luthier/tech at the Podium in Minneapolis install it but I have heard it is not that difficult if you are good with that kind of thing. The one thing I have also heard from my Luthier is don't use the double stick tape when doing the install. They should be superglued in to get the best and loudest tone reproduction from the soundboard. Even after glueing, he assured me it could be taken out in the future with no bad effect to the guitar.

Another vote for the K&K Pure Western Mini. Don't be afraid to use the superglue; you'll get better tone than you would get with adhesive tape.

I play mine through a Fishman SoloAmp, and lately through a TC-Helicon vocal processor. Both have sufficient input impedance that I don't need an external pre-amp. I like to put as few things in the signal chain as possible.

For when I play straight to a house PA, I have used the Baggs Para DI and the Fishman ProEQ Platinum. Both are nice but I prefered the Fishman in the end- cleaner tone, more headroom, more powerful EQ for eliminating feedback, and more options (i.e. built-in compression).

Good luck!

Archived