Gibson Brands Forums

1968-1971 Gibson neck (Inquiry)

So my Luthier pointed me to a Luthier that would build me a 58 Les Paul body with a 5A quilted maple top and solid one piece mahogany back. My Luthier sent him the neck tenon measurements.

$900 and 60 day lead time.

So I have the nickel hardware ready to go for a 72 duaneV reissue model. Still wondering why Gibson hasn't done a 72 Gibson LP reissue?????  Best pickup covers ever released by Gibson.

IMG_5898.jpg

IMG_5899.jpg

15 minutes ago, duane v said:

So my Luthier pointed me to a Luthier that would build me a 58 Les Paul body with a 5A quilted maple top and solid one piece mahogany back. My Luthier sent him the neck tenon measurements.

$900 and 60 day lead time.

So I have the nickel hardware ready to go for a 72 duaneV reissue model. Still wondering why Gibson hasn't done a 72 Gibson LP reissue?????  Best pickup covers ever released by Gibson.

IMG_5898.jpg

IMG_5899.jpg

Who makes them?

• 2 months later...

I received an update from my Luthier on the neck and the body. I didn't realize how much additional work was needed. He kinda groaned about the initial quote he gave me, so I agreed to Zelle him an additional $500 to keep him happy.

1. The Gibson neck is no longer going to be a one piece due to the larger 70's Gibson overlay I provided. Apparently the Gibson 68-70 headstock dimensions are smaller than the Gibson 71-82 headstock, and modifying the overlay would require removing the binding, shaving the overlay and re-applying the binding, so adding mahogany to the headstock would be a better way to address this situation.

2. He has the body now in his shop and did the neck pocket fitment, and will do the body binding channeling work for the laminated binding. He also had to plane the neck surface as there was a slight bow. He's also going to add a double action truss rod. (Rabs you were right on this call)

3. Next in the coming weeks he will add the maple fretboard, binding and frets.

See image of the project

IMG_6350.jpg