Gibson Brands Forums

#85 of #200 Sheryl Crow year 2000 country western Gibson -FAKE!!

Looks legit to me. Japan is a large market for Gibson so it would not surprise me that the literature would be in Japanese. I would contact Gibson to verify the s/n. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Shouldn’t it have an orange label?  I see it’s missing the “guaranteed” language.  Or is that a Japan order thing? I thought I saw a post a while back about overseas having different guarantees.  Maybe that is why the label is handwritten? But the label does look… odd. 

Edited by PrairieDog

Posted (edited)

Are you the one who left the negative review, or are you the second buyer of this guitar? It sounded like that reviewer got a refund after a hassle… maybe you will too?  

Edited by PrairieDog

If Gibson is like Fender they do a brisk business with the Japanese market.  In the case of Fender they even had a habit of offering instruments you could not get in the States. 

No opinion on whether the guitar is legit or not.  But if you look at the seller their usual offerings are fairly cheap stuff such as thumb pianos and what look to be bottom of the food chain ukes. There is even some indication they are connected to a distributor in China.  To say the least though, a quality used guitar is not their usual fare. 

10 hours ago, groovadelic said:

Yeah check with Gibson. If it is fake it's one of the best I've seen! The only thing that looks weird is the label. Gibson typically doesn't hand write the info on labels.

Agree - but Dave F sets a serious perspective. Must be possible to find others. .  

4 hours ago, Dave F said:

Here's a 2002 on reverb. Looks the same.

sivfou32ud4puapdsees.jpg

My guess is 2000 was a limited run so you have the # of # but 2002 was not limited. I’ve seen the hand written ones before on other models. 

Posted (edited)

There are a few to be found on the web for sale, none of which have the handwritten s/n.  However, I think the owner's manual in Japanese might be a clue to it's authenticity.  Made for the Japanese market, it would not be surprising to see a label difference for a short run of instruments.  Everything about the guitar looks right as rain.

Edited by Buc McMaster
  • Like 1