Gibson Brands Forums

Deleted

3 hours ago, gearbasher said:

I saw a squirrel today.

I had a rat in my attic.    The vermin guy put some traps up there....and a few glue traps. 

The rat kept making noise, so I kept the trap door open (in the garage) so I could quickly go up there with a flashlight and make him shut up.

The other day I went in the garage, and there was a squirrel stuck to the glue trap on the garage floor.

I don't like the glue traps....but when I catch a rat in one, I kill it....usually drown it in the fish pond....but I didn't want to do that to this squirrel.

I took him out front and used a shovel to pry hi m loose from the trap.... when I was done, he just sat in the front year, (full of glue).

Guessing it was a squirrel all along...not a rat....but we get a lot of field rats here.

I went out later and he was gone....hope he's okay....but hope he never comes back to my attic!

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I had a rat in my attic.    The vermin guy put some traps up there....and a few glue traps. 

The rat kept making noise, so I kept the trap door open (in the garage) so I could quickly go up there with a flashlight and make him shut up.

The other day I went in the garage, and there was a squirrel stuck to the glue trap on the garage floor.

I don't like the glue traps....but when I catch a rat in one, I kill it....usually drown it in the fish pond....but I didn't want to do that to this squirrel.

I took him out front and used a shovel to pry hi m loose from the trap.... when I was done, he just sat in the front year, (full of glue).

Guessing it was a squirrel all along...not a rat....but we get a lot of field rats here.

I went out later and he was gone....hope he's okay....but hope he never comes back to my attic!

Glue traps should be banned.  They are pure evil. He or she was not okay. Being immobilized and stuck where it was, it was probably picked up by a predator, like a cat, or raptor, which then got itself into a glued up mess, and was killed as well trying to deal with the glue. . Even  If it avoided the predators, it likely got its mouth glued shut trying to groom off the goo,  so it would still starve and/or died slowly of dehydration.  Either way, the carrion feeders come along to take care of the first victims,  get  messed up too.  

Glue traps foul everything right up and down the food chain.  I once saw a gull at a landfill with a glue-trap stuck on its beak.  They are horrid horrid horrid instruments of sadistic torture.  

In the future just fyi, Victor makes an electronic rat zapper that you bait and when the rat or mouse steps on the plate, instant lethal shock.  And, if you live in the country, they are safe to just pitch outside for the clean-up crew.  No lingering pain, no gory mess, no having to dispatch something that is looking you in the eye and saying “Why? What did I do?”

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Glue traps should be banned.  They are pure evil. He or she was not okay. Being immobilized and stuck where it was, it was probably picked up by a predator, like a cat, or raptor, which then got itself into a glued up mess, and was killed as well trying to deal with the glue. . Even  If it avoided the predators, it likely got its mouth glued shut trying to groom off the goo,  so it would still starve and/or died slowly of dehydration.  Either way, the carrion feeders come along to take care of the first victims,  get  messed up too.  

Glue traps foul everything right up and down the food chain.  I once saw a gull at a landfill with a glue-trap stuck on its beak.  They are horrid horrid horrid instruments of sadistic torture.  

In the future just fyi, Victor makes an electronic rat zapper that you bait and when the rat or mouse steps on the plate, instant lethal shock.  And, if you live in the country, they are safe to just pitch outside for the clean-up crew.  No lingering pain, no gory mess, no having to dispatch something that is looking you in the eye and saying “Why? What did I do?”

The rodent guy put them up there.....I, like you, don't like them....don't use them.....

I hope he made it okay, but I don't know.   I felt pretty bad.....I had no idea the "rat" in my attic was actually a squirrel.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

😱

1 hour ago, PrairieDog said:

Glue traps should be banned.  

Plus 1

But speaking of uninvited animals, I saw the little dove in the balcony-bush-nest for the first time today. I try to keep the wood pigeons away every year with a stick and an owl template, but this spring they pulled my leg. Sneaked the construction in - so HAD to surrender and let nature unfold.                                                                               To be frank it's a psycho-drama, which I do my best to turn into a romantic scene. With a pair of magpies as co-players it's close to impossible. 

Yes, the invasive bush will be cut down when the story is over. . . 

Edited by E-minor7
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

The rodent guy put them up there.....I, like you, don't like them....don't use them.....

I hope he made it okay, but I don't know.   I felt pretty bad.....I had no idea the "rat" in my attic was actually a squirrel.

Yeah, Sorry about that, I realized I kinda went off there.  Didn’t mean to make it worse.  And on a silly thread of all things.  This is why I don’t get invited to parties.  🥹

If it’s any consolation, really, the squirrel also needed to go.  They are terribly destructive, even more so than rats.  Rats will generally just nest, and are a health nuisance when they go wandering, but squirrels will work at actually remodeling the place and can put holes in your roof and walls, remove all your insulation, chew through plastic pipes/wiring, etc.   

And just saying, we don’t have a service, we just put out our zap traps when we need to.  We use the rat size for our annual mice festival.  

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Yeah, Sorry about that, I realized I kinda went off there.  Didn’t mean to make it worse.  And on a silly thread of all things.  This is why I don’t get invited to parties.  🥹

If it’s any consolation, really, the squirrel also needed to go.  They are terribly destructive, even more so than rats.  Rats will generally just nest, and are a health nuisance when they go wandering, but squirrels will work at actually remodeling the place and can put holes in your roof and walls, remove all your insulation, chew through plastic pipes/wiring, etc.   

And just saying, we don’t have a service, we just put out our zap traps when we need to.  We use the rat size for our annual mice festival.  

Don't even  worry a minute..... I take no offense at your opinions...none of us are perfect, so when someone criticizes me.... That's what makes conversations interesting.....and that's why opinions are like sphincters.... everyone has one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

Don't even  worry a minute..... I take no offense at your opinions...none of us are perfect, so when someone criticizes me.... That's what makes conversations interesting.....

That's a true democrat speaking right there. . . 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Don't even  worry a minute..... I take no offense at your opinions...none of us are perfect, so when someone criticizes me.... That's what makes conversations interesting.....and that's why opinions are like sphincters.... everyone has one!

Hey thanks, you’re a good one.  and to be sure, it was never meant as criticism at you, just a knee jerk “consciousness” raising.  I blame the pest guy who put you in that awful spot.  You didn’t know.

I was in the same position when I was in college with a mouse decades ago. We were  out of the country staying at a place in the bush.  We had never heard of glue traps, but the house we were renting apparently had put some down.  We heard horrific squeaking and tracked it down… the little guy had already chewed off one leg trying to get free.  He was in poor shape.  One of the roommates tried to get it off like you did, and then kinda panicking, tossed the poor thing out in the rough, knowing it wasn’t going to make it anyway.  

Then we started thinking about all the critters out there it was going to attract, including the owner’s elusive cat.  I was pretty certain we were gonna be responsible for the cat biting the dust.   We don’t know what happened because we never saw the cat anyway.  At least the owners never mentioned it had gone missing? 

Edited by PrairieDog

2 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Not that there’s anything wrong with that, Right? 

Nonono, , , and located here in Europe I (believe it or not) briefly forgot the american party - was thinking about the overall position. 🎨

Just to avoid any misunderstandings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Nonono, , , and located here in Europe I (believe it or not) briefly forgot the american party - was thinking about the overall position. 🎨

Just to avoid any misunderstandings.

Chuckle.   I know how it is.  No worries at you!  And, an excellent deployment of “democrat” within its historic etymology  🤓

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I don’t think I’ve EVER been accused of being a true Democrat before!

Hahe, , , again Danvill, , , notice the small-letter choice. 

9 minutes ago, Johnson Blake said:

Fascinating but irrelevant replies to a blanked post...strange is gettin' stranger i do believe 

Well, , , the nature of this Board sometimes. You should have been here in the days of the loooong surrealistic threads.                                                                                                                                                                           Those marathon fables happened 2 or 3 times a year and could roll up 8-9-10 pages within a couple of days. . 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Hahe, , , again Danvill, , , notice the small-letter choice. 

Em7, I ALWAYS use the small letter "d" when I write democrat!

And, of course, a democracy is a form of governing that ultimately destroys itself, (and the US is even destroying itself and it's SUPPOSED to be a "Constitutional Republic"!).

On 5/20/2024 at 11:55 AM, gearbasher said:

I saw a squirrel today.

10 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

I saw a squirrel today.

Guess you'll see him tomorrow again if he's glued to that same spot. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3