Gibson Brands Forums

New Trance Audio Amulet Ultra

Gary Hull

Gibson has used our pickups in a number of top of the line Artist and production series guitars over the years, and we are now offering a substantial upgrade path for these users, as well as for players looking for a system that will accurately represent the sound of their instrument when amplified.

Using the information we’ve gained over the years from our interactions with working musicians and seasoned professionals, and drawing on the wealth of the various custom requests we’ve created for them in our Custom Shop, we’re proud to introduce our new series of premium amplification systems -  the Amulet Ultra.

The Ultra series not only provides an expanded level of performance and innovation for our own pickups (and an easy and substantial upgrade path for our previous systems) but for the first time is specifically designed and presented to allow players to vastly upgrade the performance and/or capabilities of their guitar, even while using pickups (up to 3 pickup systems simultaneously in any combination!) from other manufacturers.

Complete systems, including a pair of our acclaimed Acoustic Lens transducers, start at $249, and upgrade kits (for use with your pickups) start at just $169!

Players with onboard electronics that suffer from clipping when strumming forcefully, add noise, alter the tonality of their instruments in unwanted ways, or force an uneasy reliance on having a battery inside (adding weight and reliability concerns) can easily and inexpensively upgrade their instrument using one of our new Ultra series systems!

Ultra lightweight: Compact, non-intrusive all new 4th generation analog preamp design, weighing in at  .8 ounce - about half the weight of a typical 9 volt battery

Ultra quiet: Super low noise, with the incredible accuracy, high headroom and extended frequency response we're known for

Ultra flexible: All Ultra series systems can be Battery or Phantom powered - change modes with just a flick of a switch! 

Ultra customizable: Select Mono, Stereo, or add an additional pickup source with our all-new Multi systems, each with a variety of useful control options. The choice is yours.

Ultra Easy Installation: Streamlined, improved, simplified: our Acoustic Lens® pickups are now installed without guesswork or clamping. Our new adhesive means you can install in the morning and be ready for your gig that evening, without the use of instrument-damaging epoxies or superglues.

Ultra unprecedented! For the first time, vastly improve the performance/capabilities of your own pickups (magnetic, undersaddle, SBT, piezo, etc) with our featherweight Amulet Ultra upgrade packages

Lots more info at https://tranceaudio.com/

This is great to hear !  I've long been an advocate of the Trance - it's just simply been the best.  Plug into any venue's sound system with confidence, without DI, or  external pre amps and its fidelity is astounding.  It's the only system I have in my guitars.  If it's good enough for recording artist Jackson Browne, it's plenty good enough for a hack like me.  Plug and play simplicity and top of the line performance.  Good luck with the new line !

I’m interested in finding a System that actually sounds good. I’ve tried most of them & owned quite a few Guitars with the various big names. I’ve yet to really like any of them.

I got excited & watched some videos. They’re not exactly new. The newest video is about 3 years old & most 7 years or so.

No videos of new Gibson Guitars with them that I can find? Still, I’m curious.

57 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Like Dan, I had one in a Jackson Browne and it's the best pickup system I have heard.

Maybe you guys could record & upload some different types of playing for us to hear?

Learned something again in the Gibson Acoustic Forum. I did not know this pickup yet. Interesting construction. The list of users of Trance Audio pickup systems is impressive.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a dealer in the EU area (at least as of August 2024), importing from the USA is unfortunately not so easy due to customs and import sales tax and the associated paperwork.

Posted (edited)

Here's a link to Doug Young using the new Ultra system with a variety of guitar in mono and stereo, as well as using just the preamp to power other pickups. The sounds here are all direct; no external microphones involved. The new systems will accomodate a variety of pickups and allow you to combine them in a number of useful ways if desired. Trance users can also easily upgrade their systems, if you have an Amulet M (mono system) you can easily upgrade to stereo, or beyond to the Multi system. These systems add flexibility without additional complexity.

Edited by Gary Hull

8 hours ago, docr said:

Learned something again in the Gibson Acoustic Forum. I did not know this pickup yet. Interesting construction. The list of users of Trance Audio pickup systems is impressive.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a dealer in the EU area (at least as of August 2024), importing from the USA is unfortunately not so easy due to customs and import sales tax and the associated paperwork.

Although we don't have any European dealers, we do ship to Germany via FedEx and they handle the paperwork, but I know the duties/taxes can be quite pricy. If you're interested, please email us and we'll get you a shipping quote;  you can contact your local FedEx for an estimate of taxes

10 hours ago, Gary Hull said:

Although we don't have any European dealers, we do ship to Germany via FedEx and they handle the paperwork, but I know the duties/taxes can be quite pricy. If you're interested, please email us and we'll get you a shipping quote;  you can contact your local FedEx for an estimate of taxes

Good morning Gary,

Thank you very much for your information. As far as I can remember, the price of the imported item, including transportation costs, adds about 25% for customs and taxes, but this may be higher or lower in the meantime.

But I still have a technical question: How complicated is the installation? For example, in a Gibson AJ Maple, which currently has the L.R. Baggs VTC Elements installed at the factory. The large hole for the endpin bushing in the frame is already there. Would the diameter fit your bushing? Is it possible for a handy layman who is not afraid to tinker with such an expensive instrument to install your pickup system himself? Do you have a link to a tutorial video showing the installation?

Second technical question: What happens after the guitar? You probably have customized preamps with DI output and tone control? Or is the tone control of your system in the guitar so effective that the output signal can be fed directly into the mixing console via a passive or active DI box?

Thanks for the answer!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I’m not sure I understand the OP’s statement? Is this about an entire System or a type of Pre Amp system in addition to your existing System? 

Hi Larsongs,

It’s both (and more) actually.

The Amulet Ultra is a standalone system that includes a pair of our Acoustic Lens transducers that can be installed into your guitar. There are a variety of options available that will match your particular needs and current setup; you’ll find much more information about this on our website.

We have designed these new systems so that our previous users can easily upgrade their current systems, adding both performance and capability; Mono users can keep their pickups, and upgrade just the electronics to allow for Stereo or Multi capabilities.

And, our new systems have been designed to allow users with other favorite types of pickups; undersaddle, magnetic, SBTs, electret microphones, etc. to install one of our systems and upgrade their systems performance and capabilities.

Every system has the capability to switch from battery to Phantom Power operation, for those who would really benefit from having an onboard preamp (pretty much anyone with a passive undersaddle, piezo disc or SBT setup) but are concerned about having to deal with the added weight and reliability of having a battery in their guitar.

Please feel free to call or email us  with any specific questions regarding your current setup, and how we might be able to improve and expand your performance experience.

Edited by Gary Hull

13 hours ago, docr said:

Good morning Gary,

Thank you very much for your information. As far as I can remember, the price of the imported item, including transportation costs, adds about 25% for customs and taxes, but this may be higher or lower in the meantime.

But I still have a technical question: How complicated is the installation? For example, in a Gibson AJ Maple, which currently has the L.R. Baggs VTC Elements installed at the factory. The large hole for the endpin bushing in the frame is already there. Would the diameter fit your bushing? Is it possible for a handy layman who is not afraid to tinker with such an expensive instrument to install your pickup system himself? Do you have a link to a tutorial video showing the installation?

Second technical question: What happens after the guitar? You probably have customized preamps with DI output and tone control? Or is the tone control of your system in the guitar so effective that the output signal can be fed directly into the mixing console via a passive or active DI box?

Thanks for the answer!

Hi, docr:

The installation is easy, and although we don’t have a video tutorial yet, we do have step by step installation instructions with photos and diagrams on our support page. There are Acoustic Lens pickup install instructions, and also User Guides for the various systems that provide install info of the preamp and endpin jack, with diagrams of what a complete system looks like installed in your guitar.

Our endpin is a standard size and will fit the hole in your guitar that is currently occupied by your VTC pickup.

You will be able to plug directly into your soundboard, amplifier, or direct box without the need for an external preamp. Our lightweight onboard electronics package gives you a finished, line level signal ready to interface with just about any device. Please feel free to contact us with any questions about your specific setup and needs.