Gibson Brands Forums

1942/43 SJ-100 FON

Greetings! Just joined the forum and wanted to reach out for some insight. I have an SJ-100 I recently acquired from a 90 years young picker. It's FON is 167-F. I asked Gibson for verification and they told me 1942/43, but I keep getting told the FON indicates 1940. I suppose it really doesn't matter, but curiosity is getting the best of me! What are your thoughts?

SJ100 full front small.jpg

SJ100 FON small.jpg

SJ100 Head Back Small.jpg

SJ100 Body Back Small.jpg

SJ100 Case small.jpg

Wow, congratulations on the new acquisition!  I'm not really a flat-top enthusiast, but there are some people here who are, and they may be able to give you more details based on your guitar's features.  (By the way, I don't recall having seen a pickguard like that before, but I'm more of an archtop guy).

The resource I generally rely on for dating Gibson guitars (and sometimes other brands) is here:  https://www.guitarhq.com/gibson.html#serial   Scroll down to the section on Factory Order Numbers (FON's).

It seems to me that the 1940 date is most likely correct.  Sometimes Gibson employees are young and inexperienced, and don't seem to give out accurate historical information (experienced collectors tend to know more). 

Congrats again, and welcome to the forum (although activity has slowed down a lot in recent years, unfortunately).

Nice guitar! The site Jim mentioned is a great resource. Per it, the FON is 1940 but the bridge features start in 1941, so this is probably somewhere in between that crossover. You may want to repost this in the Acoustic section.

9 hours ago, JimR56 said:

Wow, congratulations on the new acquisition!  I'm not really a flat-top enthusiast, but there are some people here who are, and they may be able to give you more details based on your guitar's features.  (By the way, I don't recall having seen a pickguard like that before, but I'm more of an archtop guy).

The resource I generally rely on for dating Gibson guitars (and sometimes other brands) is here:  https://www.guitarhq.com/gibson.html#serial   Scroll down to the section on Factory Order Numbers (FON's).

It seems to me that the 1940 date is most likely correct.  Sometimes Gibson employees are young and inexperienced, and don't seem to give out accurate historical information (experienced collectors tend to know more). 

Congrats again, and welcome to the forum (although activity has slowed down a lot in recent years, unfortunately).

Thanks for that info -Much appreciated!

9 hours ago, Dave F said:

Nice guitar! The site Jim mentioned is a great resource. Per it, the FON is 1940 but the bridge features start in 1941, so this is probably somewhere in between that crossover. You may want to repost this in the Acoustic section.

Thanks Dave-That is consistent with what I have been hearing. I'll take your advice on the repost-Thanks again!