Gibson Brands Forums

Saddle....to be or not to be compensated.?

Layla

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some input on this subject. I have my 04 Hummingbird and I'm going to swap out the nut & saddle. for bone ones.

The saddle that came with the guitar was tusg compensated one. I'm having my tech put a new nut & compensated saddle.

Question, my 07 J-45 TV VSB has and bone nut & saddle, but the saddle is not compensated? Why?

I know that and compensated saddle is supposed to be better for intonation? so I was wondering, what & why the difference.

Thanks

is the intonation on your guitar off? sometimes it's just not really needed.. if it is off having a compensated saddle installed may help.

the shop that i use will handle the problem by compensating at the nut and at the saddle which results in a saddle that's not as drastically compensated as many and with pretty dead-on intonation.

It could also be that gibson was just matching a historic spec or something with the TV and installed a straight saddle.

Hi Layla,

I've got an '04 Hummingbird too and I'd be grateful to read your opinion on the change in sound this introduces, once you've had a chance to play it a bit.

The reason the True Vinatge does not have a compensated saddle is it's heritage.

The earliest Hummingbirds did not have compensated saddles and the True Vintage

model is a replica of those early 'birds.

Hi everyone' date='

Just looking for some input on this subject. I have my 04 Hummingbird and I'm going to swap out the nut & saddle. for bone ones.

The saddle that came with the guitar was tusg compensated one. I'm having my tech put a new nut & compensated saddle.

Question, my 07 J-45 TV VSB has and bone nut & saddle, but the saddle is not compensated? Why?

I know that and compensated saddle is supposed to be better for intonation? so I was wondering, what & why the difference.

Thanks

[/quote']

Jchabalk The intonation on both guitars is dead on. The reason I'm having a compensated saddle put on is because that

the way it came other then going with a straight saddle.

H I'll let you know if there is a different one way or the other.

J-200 Koa

The reason the True Vintage does not have a compensated saddle is it's heritage.

Yes, I was just wondering . I have several other J-45 with compensated saddles, but both have ust pickups

under the saddle. So I'll leave them that way for now?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

• 6 months later...
Hi everyone' date='

[/quote']

So how did it change the sound ?

I'm thinking about putting a tusq saddle instead of the bone one on my Hummingbird TV... will it get it a little less loud and quite a softer sound (closer to Modern Classic sound) ?

The reason the True Vinatge does not have a compensated saddle is it's heritage.

I did change the straight saddle out in my SJ TV. Although it was bone, I replaced it with a bone compensated saddle from our main man Bob Colosi. It looks better, and now has a better tone as I play the upper register of the guitar.

Archived