Gibson Brands Forums

Female Blues Singers

FirstMeasure

Ma Rainey, Bessie Smith, Mamie Smith, Ethel Waters, Ida Cox, Victoria Spivey, Sippie Wallace, Alberta Hunter, Clara Smith, Edith Wilson, Sara Martin, Trixie Smith, Lucille Hegamin and Bertha “Chippie” Hill Lizzie Miles, Viola McCoy, Rosa Henderson, Martha Copeland, Bessie Jackson (Lucille Bogan), Edith Johnson, Katherine Baker, Margaret Johnson, Hattie Burleson, Madlyn Davis, Ivy Smith, Alberta Brown, Gladys Bentley, Billie and Ida Goodson, Fannie May Goosby, Bernice Edwards and Florence M

I'm supposed to choose from that?

Now female blues pickers?.....

I don't remember who posted it, or who she was, but someone, sometime back posted a black and white vid a a really bad assed old school female blues picker playing a white Gibby SG at what looked to be a railway station. I wished I had kept it because this gal was awesome.

Well, she may be considered more a jazz singer than a blues singer, but she sang many beautiful blues numbers, too, so I'd recommend your girlfriend listen to

. My favorite stuff of hers is from the late-'30s through the early-40s (esp. the work she did with Lester Young). IMHO it's very fine.

As for blues pickers (and not singers), check out Elizabeth Cotten -- magnificient, IMO.

And thelivesoundguy might be thinking of

, if I'm not mistaken.

And then there's Etta James, and so many others...

Archived