Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone ever use a "Platemate" bridge plate repair?

Taylor Player

Hi guys.... I posted this on the Acoustic Guitar forum this morning but have not had much response. I figured I would try over here to see if anyone has used one of the Platemates....

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/PM100-2-1/8.htm

I just dropped my 64 Gibson LG1 off to a repair tech/luthier recommended by the Podium in Minneapolis. I am having a neck reset done to it since there was no saddle left on the treble side and the action was a tad high to play higher up the fretboard. I also wanted the old UST of unknown brand uninstalled and a K & K mini western put in. The old UST that was in it has no preamp and had a very weak signal even through my LR Baggs PARA DI.

The luthier/tech working on it checked it out and agreed a neck reset was needed. He also indicated that the bridge plate on the inside of the guitar was well worn which I had noticed when changing strings on it. The b string was getting caught at the ball end and I had to use a needle nose pliers (very carefully!) to remove the string by gently wiggling it up and down to unstick.

His suggestion was to have a platemate installed which from what I gather is a small very thin brass plate that adheres underneath the guitar top which will then hold the ball ends without it eating into the wood.

The idea made sense to me at the time when I was dropping it off on Friday afternoon, but I have been thinking about it all weekend and started to get some reservations about the combination of the Platemate and the K & K Mini. I figured to get some quick advice prior to the repairs being started, I should ask you guys for some advice and opinions. Then when or if I call him today I can be a bit more informed. I should add that the repair guy is not the regular guy that works at the Podium as it sounds as if he is cutting back on his hours and projects so they are referring the work to a younger guy who according to the guys at the Podium, does excellent repair work as well as building high quality mandolins and acoustic guitars.

Does anyone know if a platemate would get in the way or affect the sound of the K & K since it is a sound board pickup instead of a UST? What are your overall thoughts on the "Platemate"?

I did a thread search and found some information on the Platemate but there was not much from people that actually had them installed in a guitar, especially an older one like my LG1.

I made one from scratch for my Palomino because the holes were so worn the strings would almost pop out from behind the pins. It was a structural thing. I can't comment on the tone enhancement, partly because the Palomino never had much.

There are other fixes but a little more labor intensive:

Stew-Mac bridge saver

There may or may not be enough room forward of the installed Platemate for the K&K transducers. That will depend on how large the bridge plate is. Assuming there is enough room for the transducers, would they in some way interact with the brass plate so close by? I dunno........... But if you're spending the money for a neck reset why not have a new bridge plate installed also? No Platemate, no K&K interference, no more sticking B string ball end.

There may or may not be enough room forward of the installed Platemate for the K&K transducers. That will depend on how large the bridge plate is. Assuming there is enough room for the transducers' date=' would they in some way interact with the brass plate so close by? I dunno........... But if you're spending the money for a neck reset why not have a new bridge plate installed also? No Platemate, no K&K interference, no more sticking B string ball end.[/quote']

You know Buck, I never asked him about the cost for a new plate at the time because it was just something he noticed as he was checking out the guitar. He suggested the platemate and I agreed but didn't think much about it until I started getting some information on them. Seems like people are up in the air about them from what I can find. Those that have had them are about 50/50 on like/dislike. From what I read, it is a very easy removal if you don't like it. Sure can't beat the cost for a simple solution to a failing bridge plate. I don't think mine was really bad as I have looked at it with my mirror to see why the b string was sticking. That is the only area that is "chewed up" a bit by the string ends.

I am thinking I am going to give what the repair tech suggested a try. First off, I do trust the guys at the Podium and their referral to a good repair guy. I know that everyone I have worked with there are some of the best and most knowledgeable acoustic guitar guys in the area. Mostly I think I will not change the repair because I am already a bit over my (or should I say, my wifes) budget on the repair because I added the K & K as an option after hearing his quote for the neck reset/new saddle and platemate repair. The whole thing is costing about $500 including the cost of the pickup and install. I am just assuming here that having a new wood bridge plate installed would be a bunch more than the $12 cost of the platemate he quoted me. (I am assuming he get's it at cost and he said he wasn't charging anything to install it.) Most people say that if anything the platemate adds some treble and note separating from somewhat "muddy" sounding guitars but those who had brighter guitars liked them less. The LG1 has a distinct muted tone to it that may benifit in a good way from a bit more brightness. (Hopefully not too much!) I'll let you guys know what I think after I get it back in a few weeks.

I posted a photo and link to this in a recent thread. I was working on a friend's old Yamaha acoustic. The bridge plate is chewed up enough that the ball-ends do not want to catch so I suggested this fix as more economical on a cheaper guitar than getting a new bridge plate installed. He hasn't done it yet to my knowledge but they are an easy install and an easy and cheap repair.

Archived