Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson '61 reissue, Robot SG, or some kind of Double neck?

Phantom123

With a max price of around 1800-2,000 what would be absolutely best? I'm currently leaning towards a '61, a robot, or a double neck (G-1275, unless someone knows a really cheap used EDS or can find one of the old ibanez lawsuit era EDS's). Any advice?

NOTE: I have already tested and tried out all the guitars mentioned, it's just a case of trying to decide what would be most beneficial. I could really use a 12 string/would like a double neck, but I also play in many different tunings, so a Robot could be fantastic too. Finally, my plain old 6 string could use a base upgrade, and the '61 looks like an absolutely stunning guitar (and feels like it too)

Personally I would get the '61 if you were planning on spending the $1800-$2000.

you should be able to get one for $1800 OTD. There is no way you will regret it.

Have you considered the Standard? It really is an awesome Guitar. Now that it's $1200, $450 less than it was last week!, it's a sweet deal. I just picked one up.

The Robot seems cool in concept and are nice guitars, but they are just too untraditional for me to

get into it. Seems more gimmicky than anything else.

More electronic gadgets also can mean more things breaking in time. who needs to deal with that?

Many retailers have discounted the robots as they appear to not be selling well.

I'd stick to the more traditional style of tuning my guitar personally.

No offence to the robot owners, just not for me.

A double neck? Buy the Standard and you'll have enough to get a $800 Double neck Epiphone SG too!

How many songs can you be playing with the double neck? Unless it's critical to your situation

I'd pass on getting one.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck and happy hunting

How do all of these compare to vintage guitars? I'm looking at some of those as well, and I found a 69-70 SG Standard w/ original lyre vibrola for about as much as a '61 sells for. Which is a better guitar? I don't specifically care about Vibrato bar, and can live with or without it, but I remember being told w/ the bar is a bit more valuable on resale, due to the time it was made

With a max price of around 1800-2' date='000 what would be absolutely best? I'm currently leaning towards a '61, a robot, or a double neck (G-1275, unless someone knows a really cheap used EDS or can find one of the old ibanez lawsuit era EDS's). Any advice?

NOTE: I have already tested and tried out all the guitars mentioned, it's just a case of trying to decide what would be most beneficial. I could really use a 12 string/would like a double neck, but I also play in many different tunings, so a Robot could be fantastic too. Finally, my plain old 6 string could use a base upgrade, and the '61 looks like an absolutely stunning guitar (and feels like it too)[/quote']

Are you gigging or just collecting?

If you're collecting, the best return would be on the '61 or a nice double neck.

If you're gigging: Double necks offer more playing options that single necks, but they weigh more. Not so great for playing a couple of sets.

Robots are targeted for players using alt tunings. I've had my Robot SG for 7 months with no problems and it's fantastic for quick tuning changes on stage. The additional mechanical and electronic apparatus does make for more possible part failures.

The '61 is a solid choice on both fronts - collecting and gigging. And that's what I would recommend to you.

Gibson just made some price cuts so you might find a pretty good deal. Good luck.

Archived