Gibson Brands Forums

that Golden top look

thingthatisdone

Dan Erlewine refretted my Telecaster in '93 and one comment he said was (paraphrased) "Dang, man, what have you been DOING, blowing SMOKE on this thing for the past fifteen years?"

Uhhh... yeah, actually.

Hey, which REMINDS me, it's been almost 14 months, wasn't I supposed to buy another J200 by now?

I think that was one of the reasons I never started' date=' it cost too much. Now don't get me wrong, I have plenty of bad habits, just not that one. [/quote']

Now I'm starting to wonder which is worse, smoking, or G.A.S.

(just kidding kids, I would never advocate collecting guitars.)

Seriously,

Now the facts are, I did look really cool in front of my friends for about 10 seconds between 11 and 14 years of age.

It did make me feel more independent, and grown up as well.

and one fact I couldn't appreciate until much later in life, it aged my guitars very well.

That 3 count them 3 positives about smoking.

...yeah, it was worth it alright!

Pick your priorities in life wisely folks!

I knew a guy years ago who used to redo Strats to look vintage - this was in the late 70s, before the whole vintage thing really caught on.

He'd soak the white plastic knobs and pickup covers in tobacco juice, and it really did the trick.

I have a friend who would regularly and purposely "tan" his au naturel guitars by exposing them to sunlight, even if indirect. It seemed that this significantly shortened the darkening of the colour of those guitars.

He was quite careful to leave their tops off though, to achieve that 'all over' look. :-)

Fred

I have a friend who would regularly and purposely "tan" his au naturel guitars by exposing them to sunlight' date=' even if indirect. It seemed that this significantly shortened the darkening of the colour of those guitars.

He was quite careful to leave their tops off though, to achieve that 'all over' look. :-)

Fred[/quote']

Yes, tan lines on a guitar are so not cool.... ;)

Archived