Gibson Brands Forums

Help - is my brand new LP a 2006 model?

Strongbad

I just got my LP from Musicians Friend - according to the serial number it appears to be made in Jan 2006. The serial number is 000560559. Am I interpreting it correctly?

Is this a good thing? A Bad thing? Does it matter?

Should I be concerned that a brand new guitar may be 2 years old?

It does appear to be heavier than the chambered one I played at Guitar Center...

HELP!

What model is it? Are you sure that it is not an 8 in the year position. You should have received a card with the serial number on it.

I have had a "new" guitar that was delivered from a local warehouse and it was a year old. But two years is a little strange.

I recently took delivery of an 08 Studio with a January build date.

very possible especially in small stores or shops that only put a few out. I picked up a new LP at a shop in Tucson a few years ago that was four years old they had never opened the box and it kept getting shifted back in the line until a inventory finally found it because of color. it's probably rarer now with computer inventory but %^@ happens. If it's nice and not damaged your a few years ahead on your classic=p~

You have one to many digits in the serial number that you've given. I believe there should only be 8 digits in the serial number.

YDDDYRRR

YY is the production year

DDD is the day of the year

RRR is the factory ranking/plant designation number.

Prior to 1984 when the Kalamazoo, MI factory was closed, the numbers 001-499 indicated Kalamazoo production. Ranking numbers 500-999 continued to indicate Nashville production through 1989.

That serial number would make it a 2006 model. It's not uncommon for stores to have NOS (new old stock). I just read that you returned that 06 LP. Your replacement may be a 2007 or 2008 which will be lighter because all the 2007 and 2008 LPs are chambered. I understand they started chambering late 2006 so perhaps the 2006 you sent back was also chambered. You may be in for a big surprise when you get a replacement if the 2006 you sent back was in fact weight relieved and not chambered. Just a little heads up.

Archived