Gibson Brands Forums

1905 GIBSON ACOUSTIC

mokey

I am trying to find out any information in regard to a Gibson acoustic.

The serial # is 2700.

The #18 is written in red ink just above the serial number.

There is also a label which reads.Distributed by Bear and son.London England and Toronto Canada,

It is a small body acoustic,parlor model maybe??

Two circles inlay around sound hole.

Tortoise shell pick guard.

Stencil Gibson name not inlay,

Any info much appreciated

Until some knowledgeable person speaks up, if indeed one does, it couldn't hurt to to here and begin with the section "What Kind of Gibson Guitar Do I Have?" This could set you on the path of finding out more about your guitar.

Best of luck.

Go to the site linked above. Look at the pictures of the Gibson acoustics in the Gibson flat top section. He pictures most of the models. Also look at the 1930s L00 thread in the vintage section of this forum.

I doubt it is from 1905.

You could measure the widest section of the guitar, what color is it, is the logo Gibson in white script, it is a flat top or have F holes?

Terry

Thanks for stopping by with your old Gibson. Please post pics!

I'm confident that the number you cite is a Factory Order Number (the added, hand-written number in red is the tip-off), not a serial number. I'n addition, I've not seen a pre-1908 Gibson guitar (as opposed to mandolins or harp guitars) with a serial number. So, as Terry wisely observes, it's not likely a 1905 guitar. Still, we vintage Gibson geeks want to know!

Thanks, again.

• 2 weeks later...

The original open tuners were replaced.We have the originals.

Also the serial #2700 is inside the box on a block up where the neck attaches.

also notice the "V" shape neck.

and in the blured pic. it says MADE IN THE USA.

It's a late 1930s L-00. Nice guitar! Is that number 2700 on the neck block (in Gibson parlance, a Factory Order Number, or FON) preceded by a letter like, say, a "D"? The "Made in the USA" stamp indicates that the guitar was originally built for export.

Again, a very nice guitar. Congratulations and thanks for sharing it with us.

On edit: Oops! I see that Terry beat me to it. That sunburst does look later than 1935 to me, though, which is why I asked about a letter code.

Archived