Gibson Brands Forums

Story of the restored 62 SG in Lifestyle section

saturn

I asked this question on the SG Forum, but no one addressed it. Maybe I'm just really thick headed, but does anyone else see what I'm talking about?

I know how the LP was changed in 1961 and became known as the SG. What I'm curious about is this man who put the down payment in 1959. Did they know at that time that he would be getting the SG style guitar when he finally paid it off? Unless I'm wrong there should not have been any guitars that look like an SG (whether or not it was called a Les Paul) hanging in a music shop wall in 1959. So did he put his money down in 1959 thinking he was getting a single cut LP style or did he know that by 1961 or 1962 when he finished making payments he would be getting the double cut SG style? I know it doesn't matter, but I'm just curious.

I asked this question on the SG Forum' date=' but no one addressed it. Maybe I'm just really thick headed, but does anyone else see what I'm talking about?

I know how the LP was changed in 1961 and became known as the SG. What I'm curious about is this man who put the down payment in 1959. Did they know at that time that he would be getting the SG style guitar when he finally paid it off? Unless I'm wrong there should not have been any guitars that look like an SG (whether or not it was called a Les Paul) hanging in a music shop wall in 1959. So did he put his money down in 1959 thinking he was getting a single cut LP style or did he know that by 1961 or 1962 when he finished making payments he would be getting the double cut SG style? I know it doesn't matter, but I'm just curious.

[/quote']

Good question, and it would probably be best answered by someone who was actually a Gibson dealer at that time, or one of the people waiting for their new guitar to be paid off.

I doubt the dealers knew about the SG more than a few months in advance, if even that long. New model secrecy has been a standard practice with almost everything made in the last century.

I got into a huge argument with a guy 25 years ago because he claimed to have a 1957 Fender Mustang. I kept telling him they didn't come out until 1964 but he swore up and down he was right.

One day he said he KNEW he bought it in 1957 because he and his brother had gone on a road trip and that's when he bought it. His brother piped up and told him they also went on a similar road trip in 1965.

And then the dawn broke. He conceded.

I saw the article too, and I was confused. It's obviously b.s. but what flavor b.s.? Wrong receipt? Zippy the Pinhead writing the wrong date? Someone took a '62 SG in a time machine three years previous?

As Gibson still kept trying to promote regular single-cut LP's until mid-late 1960 he'd have been expecting a '58-60 style guitar.....the SG-type Les Paul was officially introduced for the '61 year although that doesn't mean none were produced in the last part of 1960. A down payment in '59? The 'SG' hadn't even been thought about at that time.

Actually the "Gibson SG Special" was the official name given to a Gibson double cut away solid body guitar with two P90 Pickups - first produced by Gibson in 1958 - I cover all the details in this thread:

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=19519

I agree completely with what you say. The dc Special was introduced to be a budget-priced/student's model

Gibson didn't consider replacing the Les Paul Regular with a double-cutaway design until late Spring/ early Summer 1960 when it became obvious that sales were not going to recover (According to Ted McCarty, CEO Gibson 1948-66).

Archived