Gibson Brands Forums

Summer releases

EVOL!

Anything you are anxiously waiting for?

Me? 2 albums.

1. Sonic Youth - the Eternal

2. Wilco and fellow SG player Jeff Tweedy's new album - the Wilco album. Nels Cline is an animal on guitar. Total high priest at the church of the sonic guitar.

Sonic Youth - The Eternal

Dinosaur Jr. - Farm (I managed to get tickets to the tour that's going on now. I saw them April 9th, managed to snag the setlist too. I'm a huge Dino. Jr fan)

The Flaming Lips Double LP

BTW, the new Wilco album has leaked, it's fantastic. I plan on buying it on the release.

i hope the new wilco is fantastic. it's been awhile since i've felt that way about one of their releases. seems like ever since jeff kicked jay bennett out of the band i've found the music more difficult to appreciate. summerteeth was the last record i thought was consistently good from front to back. everything since then has been really hit and miss (more miss), for me anyway. with nobody to counter balance it, tweedy's mercurial solipsism wears thin after awhile.

Sonic Youth - The Eternal

Dinosaur Jr. - Farm (I managed to get tickets to the tour that's going on now. I saw them April 9th' date=' managed to snag the setlist too. I'm a huge Dino. Jr fan)

The Flaming Lips Double LP

BTW, the new Wilco album has leaked, it's fantastic. I plan on buying it on the release.

[/quote']

I need to give the new Wilco album another listen. I loved Sky Blue Sky, but only after seeing the documentary on it. Now I love it. I am hoping that Wilco the Album will be the same. Records that take me a while to get into tend to have better longevity in my listening space. Did you hear some ELO type sounds on it? That was the turn off for me.

And the new Sonic Youth is ace! Was streaming the album this morning. It's back to the rock flavor of Rather Ripped and the songs are even better. Check them out on Jools Holland

. Yeah, Lee and Kim rocking the dual vocals.

How was the last Dinosaur record? Was never a huge fan, but was glad to see J, Murph, and Lou back together.

I need to give the new Wilco album another listen. I loved Sky Blue Sky' date=' but only after seeing the documentary on it. Now I love it. I am hoping that Wilco the Album will be the same. Records that take me a while to get into tend to have better longevity in my listening space. Did you hear some ELO type sounds on it? That was the turn off for me.

And the new Sonic Youth is ace! Was streaming the album this morning. It's back to the rock flavor of Rather Ripped and the songs are even better. Check them out on Jools Holland

. Yeah, Lee and Kim rocking the dual vocals.

How was the last Dinosaur record? Was never a huge fan, but was glad to see J, Murph, and Lou back together.[/quote']

The new album still has that Wilco signature sound, however there is a little hint of ELO on there, especially with the organs playing with their more upbeat songs. I suppose I could do without it but it doesn't make too much of a difference to me. I'd have to agree with jannusguy about his statement on Summerteeth, but I did find YHF pretty good.

I heard the new Sonic Youth was great. Rather Ripped for me wasn't too bad, one of their more accessible albums whereas I like more of their experimental work a little better, but I do like all of their work. I'm happy to see more of Mark Ibold with Sonic Youth. Pavement is one band I can listen to nonstop and it's nice to see Pavement members alongside them, such as Stephen Malkmus singing with Sonic Youth during Lollapalooza.

Dino's last album, Beyond, was great. Definitely different from the work that J. Mascis mostly did by himself during the mid to late 90's. Farm is supposed to be something like returning to the classic sound they had in the late 80's - early 90's. "I Don't Wanna Go There" was the first song I heard off the new record and it was great. They recorded it during Pitchfork's "In The Studio" and you can find videos of the performance. This song was later released on a free 7" that was only available if you went during this tour; the B-Side was a re-recording of "Tarpit" from You're Living All Over Me (my favorite album by them overall).

I'm interested in hearing the new one from Isis' date=' & Dinosaur Jr.[/quote']

I got the opportunity to see ISIS open for Tool in '06. I had listened to two of their releases prior to that and I've heard that their new release is solid.

I got the opportunity to see ISIS open for Tool in '06. I had listened to two of their releases prior to that and I've heard that their new release is solid.

Yeah, I didn't like their last two so much. Pitchfork has their new one up so you can hear it. It sounds pretty good. I first caught them when they toured for 'Oceanic' in '00 or '01. I tend to compare all their stuff to that one I guess. I'm going to see them with Keelhaul (another band I can't wait for to release their new album) and Pelican @ the Grog shop in Cleveland next month.

Yeah' date=' I didn't like their last two so much. Pitchfork has their new one up so you can hear it. It sounds pretty good. I first caught them when they toured for 'Oceanic' in '00 or '01. I tend to compare all their stuff to that one I guess. I'm going to see them with Keelhaul (another band I can't wait for to release their new album) and Pelican @ the Grog shop in Cleveland next month.[/quote']

That sounds great! I always liked the Grog Shop.

Let me know how that goes, because I've heard that Pelican sucks live these days.

Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown was released today' date=' I can't wait to get it. I've heard Good Charlotte has been working on a new album as well. [/quote']

Your handle and your selections don't jive man, what's the deal?

Archived