Gibson Brands Forums

worth of a 1956 goldtop, in near mint condition?

Gibson CS

It would be irresponsible to post any suggested value without seeing pictures and being able to verify what it is exactly, and what condition it is in. If he is planning on selling it then it would be well worth it to go to www.gruhn.com and get at least an online appraisal by George Gruhn. You can also get a copy of the 'Vintage Guitar' magazine's price guide.

If you have already read of a value then why ask? If he wants a value for the intentions of selling it, then have it appraised. I have not seen the guitar so I can't offer a value or even say what it is. Without verifying a lot of things, there is no way I could begin to offer any more of a suggestion than you could read somewhere. Alterations to a guitar can have a huge impact on the value, a refinish can cut the value by 50% for example. What pickups does it have in it?

i sure would love to trade something for it lol

Like a small house or large boat!

About 25 years ago a guitar dealer friend of mine had a late fifties LP for sale. Of course I wanted the guitar, but even then the price was relatively out of my range. He liked the car I was driving and offered to trade me the LP for my Corvette. I thought about it for a minute and decided that there was no way I was going to trade a car for a guitar.

At the time it was a fairly equal swap, and we all know what has happened to the price of those guitars. In hindsight, it would have been the trade of the century. Just another example of rational thinking coming up with the wrong conclusion.

Like a small house or large boat!

About 25 years ago a guitar dealer friend of mine had a late fifties LP for sale. Of course I wanted the guitar' date=' but even then the price was relatively out of my range. He liked the car I was driving and offered to trade me the LP for my Corvette. I thought about it for a minute and decided that there was no way I was going to trade a car for a guitar.

At the time it was a fairly equal swap, and we all know what has happened to the price of those guitars. In hindsight, it would have been the trade of the century. Just another example of rational thinking coming up with the wrong conclusion.[/quote']

if he does get rid of it, i hope ill get a chance to play it =D

As the pickups are non-original, the value will be much less than an all original one- and I don't think you can call it near mint w/o the original pickups. Collectors are VERY pickey when it comes to all original condition.

I had a 61 Jr, all original, except for a FACTORY refinish- It only brought a third of what an all original one would bring. It is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it. The Japanese are paying tons of cash for guitars like these.

I certainly don't think it will bring anywhere near 40-80 thousand, but that's just my opinion. I'm just a player, not a collector.

yea i know what you mean

i think he sold it for like 6 or 7 thousand to GC, but im not sure i havent seen nick( my friend) in like a week

raptor im not sure what pickups it has in it, they seem to be older dimarzios, but m not sure exactly what kind they are

it was a really good looker too

not a whole lot of checking or wear

but it had a HUGE HUGE neck

A 56 would have had P-90s stock in it. So if it had DiMarzios, it was either modded heavily to take the humbuckers, or it is not what you think it is. Either way the value would probably have been a great deal less than you thought. Again, this reinforces why it is irresponsible to go tossing out numbers without being able to see and confirm what the guitar really is. Sorry you didn't get a chance to play it before he sold it.

Archived