Gibson Brands Forums

Storing guitars - the age old debate

Tim Plains

Vertical or horizontal?

Some of you may recall I built a cabinet a while back.

It holds four guitars and a fifth lays on top.

I'm building a second one and it will stand eight guitar cases vertically.

Any reason why I shouldn't build a cabinet that stands them vertically?

Gibson cases have the little pegs to stand them up. Just wondering if it's safe to do so for long periods?

IMG_2399.jpg

Myself - I prefer to store my 30+ stringed instruments upright.

* Places the load on the "endpin" lower part of the guitar. Storing Gibson guitars horizontally in their case will place a load on the back side of the Neck - where it rests on the Case's internal neck support. With nitro cellulose lacquer finish - and gravity load over extended time this "may" cause slight paint damage on the back of the neck.

Rotate those cases 90 degrees, there will be less downward force on the back side of the neck.

I have a buddy who stores his 1969 les paul under his bed - today there is a 1 inch wide rough spot on the back of the neck - directly where it "rests" on the plush lined neck support inside the original 1969 Gibson case.

My 1972 Les Paul ( i purchased new) - which i have always stored upright inside a closet in its case has zero storage damage.

I'm not sure what difference it makes.

My guitars sat in cases from 1980 to 2003. Sometimes horizontal, sometimes vertical, in different climates....

The only problem was the top on one Ovation that cracked. I'm convinced that was climate, not how the case was oriented.

m

I have a buddy who stores his 1969 les paul under his bed - today there is a 1 inch wide rough spot on the back of the neck - directly where it "rests" on the plush lined neck support inside the original 1969 Gibson case.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the material used in the case and not the fact that it sits horizontally?

Archived