Gibson Brands Forums

Confessions of a boy gone stray(t)

drumrnmuzik

I have to confess that I have been lured into that thin, high twangy sound that comes from a small single coil next to the bridge of a alder body... yes, I broke down and bought a Blade Guitar, Stat copy. Yes it sounds great, just like I wanted, but, other then the shame of being seen with a generic guitar... it just doesn't fit correctly.

My first love, Gibson SG Classic has the strap button way up high around the 23rd fret but a Strat has the strap button on the 11 fret which means that I have to do Kama Sutra type contortions to get up on the 1st string when on the high end of the fret board. It jams my arm into my ribs with the Strat layout.

Ok, I'm really sorry to ask, especially when I show up like the prodigal son and all, but does anyone know about a fix? I'm thinking of drilling a hole in the neck joint plate and installing a strap button there. This would center that unmentional body into the right place.

If we had 'em over here, I would have gotten an SG raw power and split the pups.

Thanks a million.

take your SG and make a template on paper by tracing around it.

Now flip your strat over and place the paper on the back of the strat.

Mark out the shape of the SG.

Go get your jig-saw and start cutting

Hot damn and I thought that I'd get some crazy *** answers!

I lol'ed so loud that I woke up the guy over at the next desk.

I bet that the SG profile would fit in all that extra Strat wood too. Also too, I could tape a bunch of cardboard around it call it a Hummingbird!

This sad story illustrates the pitfalls of buying a guitar with a strap button in line with the 11th fret. This affects the magnetic flux of the neck pickup which causes a dip around the 1Khz region. I was lucky enough to locate a Strat with the button located in the magic 12th fret zone. Thankfully, this guitar also came with the tone enhancing properties of the single-ply scratchplate.

So I can save some jig saw time and just shorten that long ear down 1 fret! OMG!!! It's all so clear now.

80LPC you are so enlightened.

If I'm diligent, and pure at heart, do you think that maybe one day I too, can be worthy enough to obtain the magical single-ply scratchplate?

PS, I've finished the outline of my SG, so I have the template ready.... so many questions... sigh....

Following the template can result in all manner of monstrosities. Here is an example of a job done well.

bastard.jpg

Bear in mind there is the method used by the great Ollie Halsall, who took a wood saw to the upper horn of his Strat, with the intention of 'making it more symmetrical'.

I would make my own neckplate (or use a steel plate from a copy). Take a steel spacer that you can often find in cars or motorcycles - the kind that stop the overtightening of plastic panels. Tap a thread in this to accept a philips screw. Weld the spacer to the centre of the neck plate, and smooth the weld. Check the plate for distortion caused by the heat, and straighten / smooth on an oilstone as necessary. Fit the plate, fit your strap, then a washer and the screw with a dab of thread locking compound. A larger diameter washer will obviously act as a straplock.

I'd be interested to see the Focus pick- up conversion. I was thinking of doing the same to an old VW.

Archived