Gibson Brands Forums

How fast can you change strings and tune Up.

Homz

So there I was last night playing my Gibson LE 1st edition Robot. Normally I don't bother with the Robot. I go straight for the LP Standard, but the Standard was in it's case and the Robot gleaming in her glass enclosed cabinet was screaming out to me, "Kashmir". I always play "kashmir" on the Robot because the DADGAD tuning requirement is only one button away. After a few minutes of "kashmir" I one buttoned my way back to standard tuning, but just than "pingk" a 'B' string broke.

Not a big deal, I thought, I'll change em all. Locking tuners and auto tuning should make this a breeze. I was wrong.

I'll make a few qualifying statements now... I had never changed the strings on the Robot. I almost never play it. I guess you would call it a "hanger". About the only thing I've ever done with it was send it off the the Gibson warranty shop to repair a computer issue related to the high 'E' string.

So I whip out the owners manual which BTW has no index. Gibson please put indexes in your manuals from now on. eventually I find the section on how to change the strings on a Robot. This was important because the computer control knob has many complicated functions. The manual shows the proper setting to unstring. I follow all the instructions. I than push the button that should cause the auto tuners to whiz away and self tune. To my surprise nothing happens with the tuners. On the control knob I see a flashing white light that I had never seen before. I fiddle around with the thing for about a half hour. There is nothing in the manual that says anything about a white flashing light. I figure the battery must be low. I put her on charge for about an hour. Again I try the auto tune function, but again I get nothing, but the flashing white light.

Getting more frustrated I call the Gibson 24 hour service center. The very nice fellow tells me to take the guitar to a authorized warranty repair shop. I'm a bit pi$$ed because the damn thing had just got out of the shop a few weeks ago.

Eventually I realize using some very basic logic that something I did while changing the strings caused this issue. The strings can't touch each other or the fret board. If they do it shorts out the computer. This according to the fellow I had spoken to on the phone. I looked all over the strings for points of overlap or fret contact. I could find none.

I finally gave up and just started on the low 'E' string and took off the strings one at a time. Between each string I turned on the control knob to see if the flashing light had stopped. I kept going with this process until I got to the 'D' string. After removing it and checking the control knob I was pleased to find the flashing white light was gone. I got another set of strings out and cannibalized the fresh pack for the 'D, A, and E' strings.

This time the little auto tuner knobs fired up just fine and with no flashing white light. Mission accomplished, and it only took 2 hours.

A new personal record for slowest string change ever. And the even more tragic part is that I couldn't even play the guitar. It was to late the kids were already in bed.

In spite of your frustrating string-change, what's your opinion of the self-tuning, computer-controlled guitar? Would you buy another one? Why do you reach for it less than your other LP?

I'm kind of a less-is-less person, and old enough to be wary of overly complicated devices that have more functions than I really need. I can't imagine I would ever buy such a guitar, but am curious what you who have one and use it think of it.

In spite of your frustrating string-change' date=' what's your opinion of the self-tuning, computer-controlled guitar? Would you buy another one? Why do you reach for it less than your other LP?

I'm kind of a less-is-less person, and old enough to be wary of overly complicated devices that have more functions than I really need. I can't imagine I would ever buy such a guitar, but am curious what you who have one and use it think of it.[/quote']

The tuning feature is awesome, but they put the 490r/498t PuPs in it. I don't like the sound. My LP kicks its a$$ in every measurable way, sound wise. It is essentially a Studio. Mine, since it is a LE 1st run has binding on the neck/ head stock, fancy extra inlay on the head stock and an ebony fret board. Honestly I'd like to change the PUPs to a P94 on the neck and a classic 57 in the bridge position. I think it would get a lot more play time if it did.

Archived