Gibson Brands Forums

Hats off to the unsung heroes.

Homz

Hats off to the unsung heroes.

It's that time of the year again. In Indiana that is the time of the year when road traffic screeches to a halt. You can't hurl a dead cat without hitting a over sized piece of of farm equipment blocking both lanes of the road.

It's time to think of our nations farmers as more than the ones who snarl the traffic flow. These unsung heroes keep food on our tables. They work long into the night doing a job that is more of a calling than a means of getting rich. To be a profitable farmer one needs to be a first class mechanic, business man, drill Sargent, and botanist.

So the next time your stuck for an extra 5 min. in traffic due to a farm tractor moving between fields, realize he/she is working hard to feed not only his family, but yours too. Give him/her a wave on your way by.

Like Ry Cooder sang once upon a time.....

The farmer is the man who feeds us all

We worked through Spring and Winter, through Summer and through Fall

But the mortgage worked the hardest and the steadiest of us all

It worked on nights and Sundays, it worked each holiday

Settled down among us and it never went away

The farmer comes to town with his wagon broken down

If you only look and see I know you will agree

That the farmer is the man who feeds us all

The farmer is the man, the farmer is the man

He buys on his credit until Fall

Then they take him by the hand

And they lead him from his land

And the merchant is the man who gets it all

He lives on his credit until Fall

With the interest rates so high

It's a wonder he don't die

But the taxes on the farmer feeds us all

Well, the banker says he's broke and the merchant stops and smoke

But they forget that it's the farmer that feeds them all

It would put them to the test if the farmer took a rest

And they'd know that it's the farmer that feeds them all

Lives on his credit until Fall

Well, his pants are wearing thin

His condition, it's a sin

'Cause the taxes on the farmer feeds us all

Like Ry Cooder sang once upon a time.....

Damn! I tried to quote that that but couldn't find my album; I thought it might be called "The Taxes on the Farmer Feeds us All" and didn't want to get something else wrong today!

Bugger!

In the vernacular of Kornfield Kounty:

Sa-a-a-al l-oo-oo-oo-oot #-o/

In Illinois, farmers haven't been able to get any meaningful field work done since Easter. Every day costs them 1 bushel per acre per day that they don't get it planted by May 1. Multiply that times 1,000 acres at $3.50/bushel of corn and you will understand the pressure these boys are under. Meaningful work commenced about mid-night last Thursday. They've been going 20 hours a day since. So... be aware that these guys are also working with minimal sleep. Give' em a break.

Our farmers are hurting very bad down here in South Texas. We are in the midst of a severe drought and our cotton and sorghum farmers are suffering mightily because of it...We'll be starting hurricane season in a couple of weeks and they'll probably be getting more rain than they need soon...On a side note, I love tractors!

Nicely put Roger. Speaking from first hand experience, those big tractors most of the time barely fit down the road that it is on, we do try to get out of the way as fast as we can, sometimes it's just not feasible. If anyone else would like to help pick up rocks, we will put you to work....we wont pay you, but if you come out on a Friday you can sit in with Wicked Red........in case you were wondering, that is supposed to be a perk. :)

I come from a farming family, and have cousins still working the same thousand acres for over 130 years and four generations. They have continually changed what they do with the land (crops, livestock, etc) with the times, to make ends meet. When I was a kid it was crops. Then they changed over to hogs. Now it's cattle. I suppose their flexability to change with the times is what has kept it a successful family farm when many independents have been bought out by the big corporations or have just lost their farms to the taxman or the bill collector.

I'm pretty citified, my father's family left the farm during the 30's for the 'burbs.

Nicely put Roger. Speaking from first hand experience' date=' those big tractors most of the time barely fit down the road that it is on, we do try to get out of the way as fast as we can, sometimes it's just not feasible. If anyone else would like to help pick up rocks, we will put you to work....we wont pay you, but if you come out on a Friday you can sit in with Wicked Red........in case you were wondering, that is supposed to be a perk. :- [/quote']

BYOB

Archived