Gibson Brands Forums

Fishing

cat&mouse

Well, I got home from school last night for the summer. Mowed the grass, got some housework done so my mom can relax at home. Picking up some guitar strings and going to practice, then spending the night out fishing, putting a little bit of my tax return to good use.

Anyone here love fishing as much as I do?

I've gotten to fish both the Atlantic and the Pacific, been on the Great Lakes quite a few times. There's really nothing like going out fishing with a few friends and just having a good time.

KSG_Standard:

Is that Laguna Madre? I've been wanting to go there for a wade fishing trip. Does it make sense just to drive there and wade? Or do you need a boat?

Thanks.

Wading is the way to go. We just use the boat to get to more places to wade fish. If you are feeling adventurous, you can rent a kayak and have a great day fishing here too. If you decide to come down, pm me and I'll get you a map that will show you some great wading spots.

I love fishing. I usually go out in my kayak with just a few essentials. Sometimes I spend the night in it, depending on how they're biting. I'm also fortunate to have the great lakes as my playground, although I tend to favor bigger boats out there. I'd have to say the best is throwing a floating jig about 8 inches from the bottom and trying for catfish out of the kayak. If you don't play your cards right with a big enough cat, you end up swimming with him.

KSG_Standard:

Awesome! Thanks!

I may end up living in that area because I love wade fishing in salt water more than any other kind of fishing. Those are my two favorite species.

Last year I took a road trip to the Florida panhandle and my favorite parts were wade fishing. The best redfish of the trip was right near a fishy looking spot just outside the biggest town in the area. I love those saltwater Zara Spooks for Reds and Trout.

Being a northerner, I just went fly fishing for the other kind of trout yesterday. Fun and beautiful, quite different from sea trout fishing. I will say that I always found it strange that the sea trout has that name. In pictures it really doesn't look like a freshwater trout at all. However, when I caught my first sea trout I didn't know what it was, and when I got it close to me my first thought was "if I didn't know better I'd say that was a brown trout". They give that strong impression.

I don't think I'll be able to travel much this summer, but I will definitely want to take you up on your map offer when I can make plans to go.

Tomorrow is the bass opener here in Minnesota and I can hardly wait to get out there for it. I've got a good spot for them and it's a ritual to go there early in the morning. I use plastic worms mostly. About 9am the pike start biting and I'll switch to a spinner bait.

For last year's trip to fish salt my main rod and reel was a Cabelas Salt Striker travel rod and an Ambassadeur Record reel. A great combination for freshwater pike and for reds and trout. Line is Power Pro 30#. At one place I was seeing surface activity so I checked it out. I tought it was small sharks feeding on forage fish. It turned out to be big gafftopsail cats, like 7 to 8 pounds. This was in 20 feet of water. I had never seen cats feed like that before. It was a blast. Only the big ones were at the surface.

As you can probably tell, I love fishing. I have all my life.

Archived