Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio Custom

ascetik

Hi, all,

I have what I believe is a Les Paul Studio Custom that was produced in the mid eighties. Mine is a 1986 sunburst with binding all around the neck and body but with dot inlays. I have heard that they are extremely rare. I bought mine for about $350 around 1994. Does anyone know what its worth these days.

I love it because it looks just like a regular les paul just not as heavy for playing live.

There's one '84 Gibson Les Paul Studio Custom going for $1400 on Fleebay. Not sure if that helps or if it's any indication of what it's worth since a Standard Faded LP goes for about that or less. I would think that the latter is a step up from a Studio LP.

The Studio Custom was made from 84-85. If yours is an 86 you might have a Studio

Standard. Do you have pics of yours? Its pretty easy to tell the difference between

them. Some of these even came with Tim Shaw pickups, that would make it worth a little more if you do.

Either way I would guess in the $1000-1500 range.

Here's my 85 Studio Custom. Got it 3 years ago for $300 from a family friend that had it in a closet for 10+ years.

DSCF1095.jpg

Hey Fixr' date='

Great guitar; a once on a lifetime deal. How's she compare to the other LP's on the wall as far as tone and feel?[/quote']

Love it, nice slim neck. Real nice tone, sustain for days. I cant really compare, i dont have any

other Lp's. Anyone who trys it out loves to play it so I guess its a good thing.

Thanks guys, my wife actually surprised me with it for Christmas. That

alone makes it a keeper.

The family friend that had it wanted my father in law to sell it on ebay. He knew that I

really wanted a LP so he acted like he really sold it only to whip it out a few weeks later on

Christmas. Best Christmas ever.

Mine looks exactly like yours except that it has chrome hardware. But i've got the binding and everything else. I'll post a pic tonight when i get off work. I may have the date wrong. I'll post the head stock as well.

I'm pretty sure thats a Studio Standard, they came with single ply binding like yours has.

The Studio Custom has a multi ply binding. I also believe the Standard had chrome hardware and

gold was only on the Custom. Yours looks pretty sweet, just need one knob.

Honestly I couldn't tell you. I think they are about the same as far as rare/value go. The custom

was made for 2 years and the standard was made for 3-4 years? I have only seen a few of each

pop up on ebay. Both in the 1200-1400 range. I dont see a PAF sticker on your pickup rings, next time

you change strings you should pop the pickups out and see if they are Tim Shaw's. You can tell cause

they will have a number that is in colored ink writen on the bottom.

Archived