Gibson Brands Forums

necks

Wayne

I have a 2002 J-100. It can hardly be considered to have a chunky or wide neck (I think most would find it the opposite), yet I still find some easy things very hard because of my small hands, or more precisely, my short stubby digits. I'm not aware of Gibson making even smaller/slimmer necks than what this has, but if they ever did in a Jumbo or Super Jumbo I would like to know which ones to look for.

I'm not aware of Gibson making even smaller/slimmer necks than what this has' date=' but if they ever did in a Jumbo or Super Jumbo I would like to know which ones to look for. [/quote']

Gibson necks got quite narrow in 1965, often as narrow as 1-9/16" at the nut, so you might want to look at a late-'60s Jumbo. These are not exactly known for their superior tone, but a number of rockers -- Pete Townsend, Jimmy Page, George Harrison, ... -- seemed happy enough with them. I don't know of any modern full-size Gibson acoustics with necks that narrow, except for the Iron Mountain AJ. (The Pete Townsend Limited Edition J-200 does have a special "slim" neck profile, but I don't believe it's as narrow as the neck on his '68. I don't recall having played one, though, so I could easily be wrong.)

-- Bob R

Most of my problems arent up and down the fingerboard, they are across the neck. Those may come later...I think I would like a short scale anyway, but I love the sound of this guitar too much. It will always be good for strumming, but I also love the way it sounds fingerpicked...Its just hard to do

You may also want to check your string height off the board. If you get the action lower you may find some of the difficulty goes away. I would definitely suggest trying out a short scale guitar if you haven't already. You could also consider the Arlo Guthrie model, but it's not going to sound like your J-100!

Archived