Gibson Brands Forums

For you pilots out there...

rocketman

Hah!

Anybody who's ever flown Air Neo can tell you that I always have a compensated 10mm Glock with 15 rounds of 135 grain CorBon jacketed hollowpoints in my briefcase.

Never had a "problem" of any sort that wasn't due to my meager flying skills....

If so, I have an open door policy for anybody who would jeopardize the aircraft and its occupants.

:-)

Don't start any sh!t on the forum, and there won't BE any sh!t on the forum.

Got it?

Rocketman was kind enough to share something humorous he knew would be of common interest - with a special treat for those of us who actually fly - and in no way was he soliciting more Kindergarten Bullsh!t in yet another thread.

May I suggest you act like a ****** somewhere else?

SORRY Rocketman!

Okay, now where were we.....?

Anybody who's ever flown Air Neo can tell you that I always have a compensated 10mm Glock with 15 rounds of 135 grain CorBon jacketed hollowpoints in my briefcase.

I'd fly on Air Neo anytime! And if anyone worries about a gunshot on a plane' date=' well Mythbusters tried it out (see here):

"This test was intended to prove or disprove the myth that a hole in an aircraft during flight will suck everything in the aircraft outside, like in many action movies. They tested this myth using 4 different methods. Gunshot though window, gunshot through fuselage, small explosive to blow out the window, and large explosive. (Which blew up nearly the entire aircraft)

The Mythbusters first started by finding an old plane in an aircraft graveyard. They then completely sealed up the aircraft, rigged up a remote-control gun, and then pressurized the inside of the aircraft to the equivalent of the pressure while flying. Buster, the crash test dummy, was in the seat beside the window to be shot.

A hole in the window did not cause anything to even move, nor did a hole in the fuselage. A small explosion meant to take the entire window out caused a seat cover to get sucked out the window. The large explosion ripped off the entire roof of the aircraft as well as a portion of the side. Buster remained in his seat, despite a lot of debris laying on top of him.

This myth was busted - you cannot be sucked out of a small hole of an aircraft while flying."

I did enjoy the video snippet and found it to be amusing.

As I do fly quite frequently on planes.

No need to become defensive. I have not, nor will I cause any trouble in the forum.

Not my style.

Just a casual observer.

This myth was busted - you cannot be sucked out of a small hole of an aircraft while flying.

In the nineties (before Mythbusters) I took a guy flying in a Cessna 172.

He was a crane operator at the same company I worked for' date=' no dummy when it comes to things mechanical and critical.

Anyhow, he was having a blast - never having flown in a small plane - and I let him fly some.

We were cooking along at a blistering 130 miles an hour at about 2,000 feet when his elbow bumped the window latch on his door. The window is hinged at the top, so the latch is on the bottom that swings out into the slipstream.

This is perfectly okay, designed to be opened safely during flight, but it immediately flew out to its limit of travel (about 30 degrees) and the sudden noise from the prop along with the 130 mph wind was startling - even to me.

Once the initial shock quickly went away and I was looking over at him, he started to FREAK OUT.

[i']I mean, lose his f-ing mind, sh!t his pants, Oh My God, we're gonna die freak out.[/i]

He grabbed my arm and was trying to climb on top of me (glad for the seat belt restraining him) while screaming at the top of his lungs "THE WINDOW CAME OPEN!!!!! THE WINDOW CAME OPEN!!!!!"

Okay, I'll admit I shouldn't have laughed....

I told him (screaming, actually, with all the noise) "Well, close the g@ddamned thing!"

"WHAT?"

"Close it!"

"Whaaaaaat?"

"CLOSE THE DAMNED THING! It ain't gonna hurt anything!"

At this point, he finally realized that I - as the pilot - was not panick-stricken, and that we were still airborn and intact.

He regained a little composure, and cautiously slipped his hand out the open window about 8" to grab it and pull it closed.

Once it was latched (I was trying desperately not to bust out laughing) and the noise was greatly diminished, he looked at me with the most pathetic, sheepish grin I have ever seen and said "Fxxk, I thought I was dead...."

He was serious.

It took me a minute to grasp the gravity of his fear.

Then he said "Well, you see it on TV all the time, people get sucked out when a window blows out...."

Then I got it.

He honestly thought he was gonna be sucked out and fall to his death.

Takes a few minutes to get your sh!t together after a scare like that.

He realized by the time we landed how dumb and unfounded it was, but in the heat of it all.....

That's one more thing I'm sure to include in my passenger brief now everytime I take somebody flying.

Hah!

Don't go dropping anything out of a plane since 9/11.....

I used to run guns in a Cardinal RG.

Legally....

Flew around Texas to visit friends of mine, somebody was always swapping/trading/buying/selling a gun to somebody.

The guy who owned it was a retired engineer, his son was a doctor.

He flew into Mexico from Houston several times a year for charities and Catholic missions, running drugs.

Seriously!

They had a deal where they got their flying expenses covered by a charity for hauling surplus, donated and expired medications IN to Mexico for the poor and needy (pretty much everybody?) way down in the center of the country.

Did lotsa mountain flying and really honed their skills - for free.

I told him he was doing it all wrong, the REAL money was in flying drugs OUT of Mexico....

:-)

Great story Neo! Doesn't sound like you have "meager flying skills" to me. My colleague was the former Commandant of the USAF Test Pilot School and Director of the F-15 Joint Test Force at Edwards Air Force Base. He flew every kind of plane practically in existence. He also wrote the definitive book on Flight Test Engineering. He once told me that many accidents could have been avoided if pilots just stayed calm and followed their training. Sounds like you follow this philosophy well...

Archived