Gibson Brands Forums

Difference Between Les Paul 50's and 60's Neck

wareyha

Hi

I bought LP Standard, I purchased it from UK, however I could not determine wheter the board is 50's or 60's.... I would like to know how i can find it??

I need your help with this issue, I dont know if it might be understood by serial numbers or from the photos, I did not use any Gibson before so I do not know the differences between two series...

(SN:0290805XX , Years :2008 )

forum1.th.jpg forum2b.th.jpg

Nice guitar! If it's an 08 Standard it won't have a 50's or 60's neck; it'll be the new 'asymmetrical' neck. It's almost as chunky as a 50's neck though.

Not true. The "new" standards didn't come out until the middle of 08. So if it is an early 08 standard it is either a 50s or 60s neck..

It should be with all the docs that were in your case. There is a form that has a handwritten code on it. Do you have that?

It should be with all the docs that were in your case. There is a form that has a handwritten code on it. Do you have that?

If not contact Gibson because nobody here can tell you what neck you have based on the s/n or those pictures. Nice guitar.

Your LP definitely looks like a post-August 2008 Standard (S/N states it was built on Sept 16th, 2008) and this new model has a new neck profile. This new neck is designed to be thicker on the bass side, and thinner on the treble side, closely outlining the natural form of the hand as it grips the neck.

From musicradar.com: Gibson advertises an 'asymmetrical' neck profile that's quite rare. Here the bass-side is more 'D' shaped and the treble side is more of a 'C' with a shallower shoulder. It's slightly less deep (20.5mm at the first fret, 22.73 at the 12th) than Gibson's '50s rounded profile that, while similar at the first (21.28mm), fills out to 25.5mm by the 12th.

Hope this helps...

Archived