Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup choice for 335

dc3c46

I am playing with the idea of changing the pickups in my ES335.

Having heard good reviews of WolfTone and Lollar Imperials

it is hard to make up my mind.

Anyone got experience with these pickups?

dc3c46,

What is it that makes you want to change your pick ups? Are you in search for a particular tone? From my experience, the '57 classics are excellent pick ups for playing the blues/jazz. A little more info could do a lot...

I replaced the pickups in two of my Les Pauls. Also did the pots/caps:

Custom - Wolfetone Marshallhead pickups, CTS pots, Luxe Grey Tiger caps.

R8 - Wolfetone Dr Vintage pickups, CTS pots, Luxe Bumblebee caps.

They are phenomenal pickups and I couldn't be happier with how both guitars sound now. A huge improvement with my Custom, both rhythm & treble. I was considering selling the guitar but now there's no way I'll part with it. A moderate improvement in my R8's neck pickup but a substantial improvement with the bridge.

If you're not happy with the way the guitar sounds, or if you bought the guitar to play around with, I say do it.

Not necessarily Wolfetones but some type of hand-wound pickups...but before you do, have you thought about replacing just the pots/caps? If you're going to replace the pickups, you should replace the pots/caps anyways; so, why not start with the pots/caps and it you're still not happy with the tone, then go for some pickups. Just a suggestion. I did mine all at once.

I replaced the pickups in two of my Les Pauls. Also did the pots/caps:

Custom - Wolfetone Marshallhead pickups' date=' CTS pots, Luxe Grey Tiger caps.

R8 - Wolfetone Dr Vintage pickups, CTS pots, Luxe Bumblebee caps.

They are phenomenal pickups and I couldn't be happier with how both guitars sound now. A huge improvement with my Custom, both rhythm & treble. I was considering selling the guitar but now there's no way I'll part with it. A moderate improvement in my R8's neck pickup but a substantial improvement with the bridge.

If you're not happy with the way the guitar sounds, or if you bought the guitar to play around with, I say do it.

Not necessarily Wolfetones but some type of hand-wound pickups...but before you do, have you thought about replacing just the pots/caps? If you're going to replace the pickups, you should replace the pots/caps anyways; so, why not start with the pots/caps and it you're still not happy with the tone, then go for some pickups. Just a suggestion. I did mine all at once.[/quote']

Thanks Are Nine. Replacing caps and pots was my intention to begin with anyway.

Perhaps I should start with that. Regarding the pickups I did check a Larrivee RS4 at Long&Mc

which has Lollar Imperials in it and was pleasantly surprised with the tone. I guess this triggered

the quest. Plus I did research a few Forums (mylespaul etc.) and Harmony Central and discovered that

quite a few guys did replace with Lollars and WolfeTone and had only good things to say.

Guess I'll do caps and pots first and go from there .

Thanks again for the advice and Rock on!

Archived