Gibson Brands Forums

Minor Pentatonic Scales

STLBlues

Just noodling around today and thought: how often do I really uese all five positions of the minor pentatonic scale? I mean, every solo I've ever learned 9 times out of 10 used only the first and the upper half of the second. I'll venture out to the other three every great once in a while when I impovise. Any one else?

The trick is to be able to jump from one to another seamlessly. Once you have that you can change scales seamlessly too without having to go back to a "home position" which can really weigh down your playing.

Most solos that people learn usually stick in one spot because its easier but the guy who played the solo might've played it differently in terms of what he did on the neck.

The trick is to be able to jump from one to another seamlessly. Once you have that you can change scales seamlessly too without having to go back to a "home position" which can really weigh down your playing.

Most solos that people learn usually stick in one spot because its easier but the guy who played the solo might've played it differently in terms of what he did on the neck.

STLBlues great question so I tried what you suggested and when I came back Swmcv2007 had written what I found out.

Keyword is seamless. Thats where I ran into some issue's and why I'm not using them.. I will be working on this. This is

great I would have not thought of this. Thanks STLBlues.

CW

I usually accidentally slip into minor pentatonics while improvising. I try using hexatonics more or go to mixidorian for some different sounds. But when your doin a solo up and down the neck on stage, you look like the greatest guitar player ever.. for the moment.

After a while it's one big Hop Scotch field. One Day I was looking at the neck of my guitar from a few feet away, and I "Saw" the different positions fade into one big scale. That was a very Liberating moment for me. I realized the "positions" were for reference, not for Playing.

So I can say "I Use the Middle Positions all the time", but that's would be inaccurate. It would be more accurate to say, "I've ignored the positional boundaries for some time now".

Archived