Gibson Brands Forums

Original Jumbo Reissues

davenumber2

Dave-- The Jumbo of the 1930s was Gibson's first slope J. It was deeper front to back, slighty different bracing than later models (detailed specs here: http://www.provide.net/~cfh/jumbo.html). The reissue is a real good guitar, tho not a dead ringer for a 30s model. Adi top, 1/34 nut, braced like an AJ. Some have the deep body like the originals, others are more like a J35. Some have V-necks; the one I tried out was a wide C. It was easy to fret and sounded great. Not as resoundin' as a J45tv. Dry and punchy (a Bassman to the TVs Super Reverb). Had a hard time putting it down once I picked it up.....

Dont see many because its not a standard production model, but you'll see runs at places like Fullers and Guitar Sale. $$$ 18-22 used.

... Adi top ...

Actually, most or all of the early ones were Sitka topped, but the more recent ones are Adi. A few other differences are the small ('34-sized) of the sunburst on the top, that some (older ones, I believe) have a 30's-style sunburst on the sides, and that some (newer ones) have Mad RW rather than Indian RW fretboards and bridges. Bone nut and saddle, of course.

-- Bob R

P.S. Here's a clickable version of the link to the info on provide.net: http://www.provide.net/~cfh/jumbo.html

Added slightly later: And I should have added, I do own one -- a 2005 with Adi top, almost no body depth taper, no burst on the side, and really nice streaky Mad fretboard and bridge. Dry and punchy is a good description of the tone, which I've enhanced by stringing it up with the John Pearce nickel acoustic strings.

I've got one of the early ones made in 2003, which I believe is the first year of this reissue. It's kind of an odd ball. It was built in the Custom Shop according to the decal on the back of the headstock and the interior label. I was told it's has an adirondack top which I believe since it has a very loud voice and looking at it with a mirror on the inside it sure looks like adi. Since the top is finished so dark you don't see much grain pattern. It has a V neck, shaded finish on sides and back and a very small top burst. 1 3/4 inch nut and unlike the original ones from the 30's it has tapered sides like your typical Gibson slope shoulder guitar has. Now this is the weird thing it's the only one I've seen to come stock with three on a plate Kluson type tuners as opposed to the single Gotohs that all of the other one's I've seen have. The one draw back for me is the neck which is a bit chunkier then I prefer, hence it may be on the sales block soon. All in all it's a cool guitar and definately has " the Gibson sound ".

Archived