Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird/Dove

Hi peeps

My earlier post on the subject of preference between the Hummingbird and the Dove disappeared mysteriously, although I had two helpful replies before it did so

My own registration with the forum also got deleted

Was it really all my fault that everything went haywire? :-#

Anyway ... any other views on the differences between the two will be appreciated ....

Hummingbird: Short scale, mahogany. Positive: Crystal clear notes, wonderful tone, easy to fret

and excellent finger-picker, less expensive. Negative: Less volume from same body shape.

Dove: Long scale, maple. Positive: Very bright, projects very well and a great strummer.

Negative: Mid range can be muddy on some and more expensive.

Play both if you can. If you can't, get a feel for the different tonewoods and scale lengths

on other guitars before you decide.

Just my $.02.

As was said, the forum crapped out and all the posts were lost...normal service seems to have resumed now, though!

I think the Hummingbird and the Dove are aesthetically similar, but in terms of tone as feel, markedly different. Different enough, intact, to warrant owning both. The Hummingbird is a comfortable, warm playing experience, whereas the Dove is louder, more strident and somehow more invigorating...The Dove also feels, oddly, like a bigger guitar, due to the longer scale and larger headstock.

Tonally, the difference is subtle, akin to the difference between a Les Paul Jr with P90s and a Les Paul Standard with Humbuckers. They're similar, but distinct from one another...and both great :-)

Archived