Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar dreams

ksdaddy

Okay, since OWF brought it up in his GAS post.... have you ever had dreams about guitars? I have them all the time. I dream weird anyway so it stands to reason if I dream about guitars they will be off the wall. A while back I dreamed of some odd contraption that looked a little like an autoharp but it was fretted and had extremely heavy strings. It seemed like you were supposed to play it on your lap like Jeff Healy. It was no bigger than a lap steel but it was acoustic. I know there are weird zithers out there with fretted sections but that wasn't it. I may just have to freakin' build one to find out what it's all about.

A few weeks back I ran into my old boss (for real) who had moved away and came back. She mentioned her Martin needed to be refretted. The other night I dreamed she handed it to me to refret but it was no Martin. It weighed a ton and seemed like the body and neck were all made of metal or a heavy resin. The back's edges were rounded and everything was seamless. It was bright metalflake pink. The tuners were planetary like a banjo's and they were integral to the headstock, mounted flush and accessible from the back. There were no tuner buttons at all; you either used a device like a clock key to adjust them or you could insert a cordless screwdriver type tool into the sockets for speedy winding. The frets were in two pieces and resembled those reflective shiny things you use when fishing, but more of a teardrop shape. They were meant so you pressed down on them, you were actually putting your fingertips into the concave surface; they were rounded in such a way that the intonation would be correct; the supposition being that a straight fret was inherently 'wrong' and this fixed it.... compensated frets if you will.

Told you I dream weird.

Okay' date=' since OWF brought it up in his GAS post.... have you ever had dreams about guitars? I have them all the time. I dream weird anyway so it stands to reason if I dream about guitars they will be off the wall. A while back I dreamed of some odd contraption that looked a little like an autoharp but it was fretted and had extremely heavy strings. It seemed like you were supposed to play it on your lap like Jeff Healy. It was no bigger than a lap steel but it was acoustic. I know there are weird zithers out there with fretted sections but that wasn't it. I may just have to freakin' build one to find out what it's all about.

A few weeks back I ran into my old boss (for real) who had moved away and came back. She mentioned her Martin needed to be refretted. The other night I dreamed she handed it to me to refret but it was no Martin. It weighed a ton and seemed like the body and neck were all made of metal or a heavy resin. The back's edges were rounded and everything was seamless. It was bright metalflake pink. The tuners were planetary like a banjo's and they were integral to the headstock, mounted flush and accessible from the back. There were no tuner buttons at all; you either used a device like a clock key to adjust them or you could insert a cordless screwdriver type tool into the sockets for speedy winding. The frets were in two pieces and resembled those reflective shiny things you use when fishing, but more of a teardrop shape. They were meant so you pressed down on them, you were actually putting your fingertips into the concave surface; they were rounded in such a way that the intonation would be correct; the supposition being that a straight fret was inherently 'wrong' and this fixed it.... compensated frets if you will.

Told you I dream weird.[/quote']

OH,no, no, no. Dreams are messages.. Lemee see if I can decipher this one.

The guit tar is a woman. After all a guit tar shape is fashioned after that of a woman's torso. The unitized seamless pink body would represent a skin tight, pink patent leather jumpsuit. Metal flake is just icing on the cake. The tuners without a key.. Definite sign of a woman. What man knows how to tune into a woman's psyche.. we have no key. However, you in your dream DID have a key or an electric device for tuning .... uh ... let's not go there. Not sure about the frets, but pressing down on a concave surface requires more thought.

Bottom line, Scott.. You have the hots for your old boss.

The 2 or 3 nights before my '59 reissue arrived at my house (bought it on ebay), I dreamt about the guitar every night. Nothing major, just looking at it on a wall and holding it. That is the only time I have dreamt about a specific guitar; I don't think I played it in any of my dreams. I was so excited to be getting the guitar that those few days I did nothing but think and dream about it. I looked out the window for hours waiting for the UPS truck to arrive. I have had other dreams with guitars that I can't remember, where I am performing at a small venue. Music and guitars are such a big part of my life that I would find it odd to not dream about them. Anyways, I don't want to get into a Freudian psychoanalytic critique of the effect that music has on my life, it maybe too much to handle.

Archived