Gibson Brands Forums

How about that weight differnce

Silverbursted

I just got back from my local GC and spent some time playing different Les Pauls. They had an Ebony Custom and a R7. I was curious about the very apparent weight difference between the two. I know that neither are weight relieved, but the Ebony must have weighed in at near 13 lbs where the R7 was probably closer to 9 or 10 lbs. They both performed outstanding and were a blast to play. Anyone know why the weight difference between these two custom models?

Different woods, they'll use the finer and lighter woods on the reissues. Customs are weight relieved, it's right on their website. The 57 Custom RIs are not weight-relieved. Not sure which one you played.

Just out of curiosity, were you playing around with the R7's tone knobs at all? Was there a range or was the tone basically 'on or off?'

I almost traded my 335 for a R7 yesterday, but the R7 had no range - tone on or off, basically. I didn't make the trade because his R7 seemed like a tone turd to me...but then a guy on LPF said RIs are like that - they have no range. Just wondering if it's true? I've played an R8 & R9 at a music store, but acoustically only, so my experience with them is limited. Aren't the old LPs supposed to be tone monsters??

I can't say enough about the weight releived Gibsons. I have a new Studio and it is a pleasure to play. I really can't see any sacrifice in tone. The new ones seem to sound very 335 like now, but without the weight. You can really note the difference when you sling one of the solid body LPs. But I bet there are a lot of people who have the exact opposite feeling.

I can't say enough about the weight releived Gibsons. I have a new Studio and it is a pleasure to play. I really can't see any sacrifice in tone. The new ones seem to sound very 335 like now' date=' but without the weight. You can really note the difference when you sling one of the solid body LPs. But I bet there are a lot of people who have the exact opposite feeling.[/quote']

A new Studio? Are you sure it isn't chambered?

Tim, I played with the tone some on the R7, and was very pleased with the way it sounded. I absolutely fell in love with the look, feel and sound of the Goldtop, and will be picking it up tomorrow. The other half of my question was about the weight of the Custom. If it is weight relieved, they must have filled the chambers with lead. It was along the lines of a Black Beauty with 2 BB Pros and lots of white binding. It was very nice looking and sounded really good, but the weight alone was enough to say no, besides it was being displayed right next to the Goldtop and it was $500 more than the R7.

Silverbursted, that's great that you're buying a new guitar...congrats! You'll have to post some pics.

That R7, I'm not asking if she sounded good, I'm asking if the tone knobs had any sweep to them? From 10, could you turn the tone back to 8 or 7 and hear a difference? That's what I'm asking. The one I played, there was no difference until you went down to 2. That's why I called it a tone turd, 'cause there was no range.

As for the weight-relief, you can buy a black LP Custom and then you can buy a black 57 Custom, either aged or not aged. They're nearly identical to look at.

If it had BBs (not Pros, just BB 1 & 2), than it was the 57, not weight-relieved. Personally, I would love a 13+ lb Les Paul! To bad it's all the way in Cali.

I played one of the new LP's with the chambered bodies and was surprised how light it was. Then again my LP Deluxe is a tank and is the heaviest guitar I've ever played much less owned. I would swap it out for a newer one (mine is only three years old) if I could to reduce the weight. I have a messed up back and shoulder and it makes a huge difference for me.

You younger cats out there with your tight skin, good backs and who still have access to irony might not care. I recommend a skin care regiment and back/abs exercises as soon as possible - ha. Actually I messed up my back when I was 19 so its not an "old man" thing.

Hey Tim I think you're right, it was probably a 57 with 2 pups. I will definitely be taking some snaps. I can't wait. =D>

I believe the tone changed some, but to be honest, I don't recall seeing what the setting was as I was making adjustments. I will check it out when I get her home.

Hey guys, im new here. Thought i'd check it out as im the proud new owner of an R7 Goldie.

I have to say, i played maybe 25 les pauls over the past 4 months, searching for 'the one'. I originally wanted a cherry standard, but soon discovered the benefits of buying custom shop.

I played maybe 15 VOS guitars, looking initially for a 58' cherry plaintop, but played 59's and 57's. None of them said take me home, till finally i picked up this goldtop. There is such a big difference between these things. And i know a mm here half a mm there seems nothing, but neck profiles are very personal things, and that half a mm makes a massive difference. I also thought the 57' was sposed to be a bigger neck than the 58' but this one was maybe not smaller but more rounded, making it feel a tad smaller in the hand. I love it.

Now the question of tone pots, mine are very usable, sweeping from 10 back to 3 before getting muddy. Very good. I use sprague oil/paper nos caps in all my guitars, and they yield the same results as these RI bumblebees. Pretty cool. I have a buddy with a 58' and his pots are very tight, you have to use finger and thumb, mine are free.

I did find tho, that none of the ones i played sounded as clear as this one. The neck on all of them was lacking definition and muddy as. As far as i could tell, heights were about the same, as lowering the neck pickup will clean it up some, so i guess even the hand wound electronics are not without variation.

This one is, of course unchambered, about 8 and half pounds, and very resonant and acoustic unplugged, but rings like a bell plugged in. Also has a very even creamy breakup, the others again were a little edgier rawer. I got one that suits me :-) And shes a keeper!

Cheers guys, Don

Archived