Gibson Brands Forums

Musical Body Buzz

hippieparadox

I've discussed this with my musically inclined friends, and they seem to have no idea what I am talking about. Maybe if I present it to all of you musically inclined people here on the forums I'll get a little feedback.

When I listen to a really great song, metal in particular, my whole body buzzes. It starts at the back of my neck and then creeps through my body. I end up with goosebumps all over my arms, neck etc...

As the song picks up and solos start coming, it gets stronger. What is that?!

It may be a common thing, I have no idea as my musical friends don't seem to experience this at all.

Never the sustained buzz you describe.

Just brief quasi-orgasmic sensations that make me grin like a child and say "Oooohhhh yeah....."

Fur on arms and back of the neck lifts with goose pimples as you describe, even the wife has noticed.

:-)

I hear a certain part of a song with a sustained power chord during a break that is just perfect, or a solo that achieves that perfect Olde School balance between a chain saw and an air raid siren, even a great chord progression with good vocal melodies all in perfect harmony.

Not always hard stuff either.

Silver Spring by Fleetwood Mac does it too, the vocal harmonies are incredible - to me anyhow.

Rarely happens when I'm playing myself, go figure.

#-o

And then usually only when I'm playing riffs on my ES-335.

Anybody who gets it will understand, I shoulda bought a 335 15 years sooner than I did...

It's called liking the song brother. It happens less and less as you get older if you are in a band, you get lost a little in your own music. Yanno the last time I felt that? At a NICKELBACK concert 3 months ago for the opening song only. My wife MADE ME GO! I SWEAR!!!

Why do I admit this? Because in my opinion, Live they are a fine band. PRETENCIOUS AS HELL, but a fine band. Listen and enjoy while you are young mate.

What song was it? If it was that good throw us old dudes a new lifeline.

When I listen to a really great song' date=' metal in particular, my whole body buzzes. It starts at the back of my neck and then creeps through my body. I end up with goosebumps all over my arms, neck etc...

[/quote']

Yeah, I've had that a few times. Strongest one was the first time I heard Slayer.

Wish I could explain it better. If you've never experienced it, it's like explaining to a blind man what the color orange is.

All I know is that ANY music I listen to that makes me think "that's ****in' badass" i get this body buzz thing. Feels like a trickle of electricity at first, and by the time the solo(s) have receded and the song comes to an end, I feel like I could channel lightning if I were in a field on a stormy day.

Metal seems to be the most prominent genre that does this for me, though it happens with any song that I think sounds good.

C_D, I guess if I were to pick a few songs, I'd say:

The Maze - Vinnie Moore

Technical Difficulties - Paul Gilbert

Asylum (I) - Yngwie Malmsteen

Riders on the Storm - The Doors

Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd

Kashmir - Led Zeppelin

Hell, even some rap songs sound good, don't know the names of them or the artists but there's the off chance that I'll hear something that sounds neat.

Archived