Gibson Brands Forums

Sprague Orange Drop Capacitors

bubba_leon

If you consistently have your pots on 10 and/or play standard rock tunes, it isn't going to make any difference. If you play with alot of feel and really need to dial in a tone then caps are a good "finishing touch." You gotta get the bigger pieces like pickups and amp right first.

I swapped them out for what was in there - didn't notice any big diff tone-wise., but felt better about it anyway, especially quality-wise.

Ended up with Mullard Trop fish - even better, and MAYBE they did make a little diff in tone. I use them where ever possible now.

I have orange drops in my LP, they are good enough and a slight but noticeable improvement over the ceramics.

I used a 0.015 on the neck pickup to have less taper, I never lower the tone on that pickup all the way down anyway.

The best thing you can do while upgrading caps is to slightly re-wire your Les Paul to make the controls more useable. I attached the cap to the tone pot only based on the diagram found on SeymourDuncan.com and the controls work better, easy change just 4 points to solder.

I selected the the 2 humbuckers, 2 volumes, 2 tones, 3-way switch from their diagram options in their website, go to support and then wiring diagrams.

I did not bother to follow all the wiring only how the caps are connected. You will see how the caps are only connected to the tone pot, which makes sense.

The difference is nice because the controls no longer have that immediate drop off, no wonder so many people keep the knobs at 10 with the stock wiring.

Yeah I have a question about that. I was looking at the wiring set up of my epi LP and saw that the connection between the volume and tone pots have just a regular wire between them, no capacitors. I can just as easily go out and get some .022 mf caps and splice them in... but can anyone explain what they actually DO? People have mentioned that they help when your tone is not dimed, but somewhere in between... but what does it do to it? Help to not suck out the tone?

does it really help that much?

Epi's may have the capacitor connected to the tone pot which is the better way.

Capacitors act with the tone pot which is a variable resistor to control treble bleed so the more you lower the tone knob the more treble bleeds resulting in a darker tone.

If you consistently have your pots on 10 and/or play standard rock tunes' date=' it isn't going to make any difference. If you play with alot of feel and really need to dial in a tone then caps are a good "finishing touch." You gotta get the bigger pieces like pickups and amp right first.[/quote']

I've got my sound pretty dialed in. I replaced the ceramic humbuckers with 57 classics, and my amp (Fender blues jr.)has been biased cooled.

I try to keep the neck pickup tone about five and the bridge around 8 - 9.

I'm hoping to clean up the neck mostly cuz it tends to get muddy with my current setup.

It sounds a lot cleaner with my Soldano SLO, but that beast is not much of an option these days.

Anyway thanks for the replies I think I'll try the tropical fish caps.

Archived