Gibson Brands Forums

it's baaack!

jannusguy

I don't remember this one being writen about before.

Other than the bridge' date=' which indicates it a fake or poor judgement in parts selection, by a guit tar tech, what screams at you that is a forgery?[/quote']

I don't think anyone thinks it's a forgery. Just a poorly repaired J-45 - rather than the mystical J-55 that it's being presented as. The rosette is obviously not original to the guitar, the bridge is not original, and the top itself is questionable.

Over at the UMGF they are pretty sure it is a fake. There was a link to a thread over there on the acoustic guitar forum today discussing this particular guitar. Here is a link to the UMGF thread.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/88998

Personally, I don't know for sure, but it does look pretty funky and that bridge has to be a tone sucker!

Boy, you know I've bought some perfectly lovely guitars. But even so, I've sometimes I felt foolish about some of the money I've spent on them. Good money spent on broken down guitars. More money spent fixing them. Then another guitar - then more money, etc, etc. But after this auction I will never feel silly about the money I've spent on guitars again. This bad boy went for $4350.00. Nice work if you can get it considering he bought it about a month ago for just over $1800.00.

R

Mustache Mania

Archived