Gibson Brands Forums

Schaller strap lock installation tricks and tips.

NeoConMan

• 2 months later...

Hi there, i'll throw a little more fuel into the fire [biggrin]

I started using these rubber washers a couple of years ago after first coming across their use with strap buttons, i've since got them on all of my guitars that i have strap locks and they've worked great in all cases. A while ago I took my Les Paul to a shop to have the locks installed because i didn't want to mess it all up. (All the reading I'd been doing on the subject was making me nervous.) Turns out the shop used a felt washer and when I removed them a few months later to check i found that the felt had actually melted to the finish! I was able to remove it but it left a permanent mark that while generally invisible because it's covered by the button was disconcerting.

Anyway, I installed a set today on a different guitar and followed a slightly different method than what's been suggested (but overall it's the same) and I thought i'd share. The guitar is a Les Paul and i took measurements with a caliper along the way that may hopefully be of use to others down the road.

First step, get supplies:

Available at my local Ace Hardware:

- a bunch of stainless 8x1-1/4" philips wood screws with the rounded head. $.35 each, Qty. 2.

- "0" Flat washers, Danco Company Stock Number: 35063B. $.79 each, Qty. 2.

To me the 0 is the right size, the 1/4" also works it's just a little larger, pics are below

Second step, measure:

Stock Schaller Button (Screw Head End): .268"

Stock Schaller Button (Screw Thread End): .146"

Head of 8x1-1/4" Screw: .300"

Step 3, Modify:

The Screw thread end of the schaller button needed to be enlarged to accept the 8x1-1/4" screw. I drilled it out to .188" (3/16" bit will get it there) The threaded end of the screw slid in perfectly after that.

The head of the 8x1-1/4" screw was too wide to fit in the Schaller button still. I chose to grind down the head of the screw by mounting it in my drill thread-first so the head was sticking out, getting the drill up to high-RPM and them using a file to grind the head down until it was the right size. Doing it that way ensures an even round head in the end. The file i had doesn't take off a ton of material either so i was able to get it to just the right size.

In the end the head end of the screw was taken from .300" to .262." There was .004" difference between the two which let it come out easily if need be but otherwise fit like a glove! Any generic hand drill can be used for this, and not over-tightening the chuck ensures the threads don't get damaged at all

After that i put everything together, since i had my tools handy anyway i used a torque wrench just for the hell of it. proper tension was right around 2ft#, probably a little less, easily done in a very controlled way with a screw driver.

Here are some pictures...

The stock buttons and screws removed from my Les Paul, they're big suckers, and both the top and bottom screws appear to be the same size:

IMG_1311.jpg

Here are my modified screws and Schallers, the stock screws were larger than i was expecting but the threads matched as did the diameter, they went in nice and tight! If you look at the head of the screw you can see how it's squared off a little more than usual from my grinding, the diameter is also smaller by about .038"

IMG_1310.jpg

Here's the guitar with the Schaller installed, the washer is just slightly compressed

IMG_1313.jpg

Here is a pic of the locks

Those disks will make the strap tight against the guitar an eventually leave marks, it was happening to 2 of my guitars, I have recently switched to Schallers.

I do not use rubber or felt, just drill the hole a little deeper and turn the screw heads to fit the Schaller button and drill the Schaller button when needed. I did not want the button to stick out even more than it already does.

• 5 months later...

In the end the head end of the screw was taken from .300" to .262." There was .004" difference between the two which let it come out easily if need be but otherwise fit like a glove! Any generic hand drill can be used for this, and not over-tightening the chuck ensures the threads don't get damaged at all

To prevent a problem by over tightening the drill chuck I wrapped the screw where the chuck would make contact with a strip of duct tape about 1/2" by 2" long and then I was able to tighten down with the chuck.

Thanks for the post Neo!

Archived