Gibson Brands Forums

Wow - Bridge and Saddle replacement!

bkharmony

So, I've been trying to learn more about setting up my guitars, and rather than experiment on one of my Gibsons, I decided to try "upgrading" one of my beaters, an 80s Yamaha FG-435. I bought a compensated TUSQ saddle and a TUSQ Martin nut. My goal was to see how much clarity and sustain it would add the the old warhorse, while also seeing how well I could adjust the action myself.

As far as the action, I sanded the nut down a hair too far and I'm getting a slight buzz, but it's very close and still quite playable. I seem to have gotten the saddle height correct; though I may give it a few more swipes on the sandpaper. I cranked a bit on the truss rod and it all seems to be mostly in order (but I'll probably give it another half turn).

But the biggest thing is the tone. I am blown away by the improvement in tone from $25 worth of synthetic ivory. It's truly remarkable. I mean, this previously muddy, dead guitar that was a chore to play suddenly rings out loud and has crazy sustain. I know some of it is brand new strings, but I've had this guitar for about ten years now, and I'm pretty familiar with the tone, new strings or not.

I also ordered a set of TUSQ bridge pins for it, but I wanted to hear the difference just from saddle and nut replacement before I upgraded the pins. I can't wait to hear the difference with them in place.

Thought y'all might like to hear my tale. I expected some improvement, but this has really exceeded my hopes. I'm tempted to play the Yamaha at my next gig rather than my L-4A. I'll be getting a Colosi nut and saddle for my SJ-200 soon and a Colosi saddle for the L-4A even sooner. CAN'T WAIT!

Cheers!

I haven't experimented much with upgrading nut and saddle material, that is to say if the material is 'good' already I haven't upgraded to a 'better' material to try to improve the tone. People have reported big improvements and I would never doubt them, I just haven't gone that route. However many guitars have what I would consider sub-grade soft crap for nuts and saddles. Upgrading to a better material at that point can make a huge difference. A recent addition to the stable (the 'O' word!) has a horrible nut and saddle, softer than a sneaker full of puppy poo. Those will go away post haste. Your Yamaha was likely similar.

Bout a year ago I replaced (well, actually a luthier did it) the TUSQ saddle on my J-100 with a bone one. The change in tone was interesting: it's a lot more even and full across the range from lows to highs, and the lows don't boom like the did before.

However many guitars have what I would consider sub-grade soft crap for nuts and saddles. Upgrading to a better material at that point can make a huge difference. A recent addition to the stable (the 'O' word!) has a horrible nut and saddle' date=' softer than a sneaker full of puppy poo. Those will go away post haste. Your Yamaha was likely similar.[/quote']

Yup, they were like tupperware plastic.

Now, I wonder what the difference will be between a decent TUSQ saddle (as is currently on my SJ-200) and a bone one. I'll find out sometime soon. But from everything I've read, TUSQ is pretty darn close to bone as far as density and sound transmuting properties. I just like that the TUSQ pieces run about $12 and I can afford to put them on my cheaper guitars.

Archived