Gibson Brands Forums

Something?

Andre S

Depends on what you want to record and the quality you want.

You can use a USB adapter

You can use a cheap sound card, even the one that comes stock conected to a small mixer (via RCA or 1/8 stereo plug)

You can get a small entry level interface

You can get a better interface that lets you control some stuff from the pc

You can get a better interface with preamps and other fancy stuff

You can get a dedicated preamp and a good interface suported by a good software

Depends on what you want to record and the quality you want.

You can use a USB adapter

You can use a cheap sound card' date=' even the one that comes stock conected to a small mixer (via RCA or 1/8 stereo plug)

You can get a small entry level interface

You can get a better interface that lets you control some stuff from the pc

You can get a better interface with preamps and other fancy stuff

You can get a dedicated preamp and a good interface suported by a good software[/quote']

recording some original stuff, acoustic that is, and some electric covers.

I wouldnt recomend a sm57 for aocustic, it's better suited for recording amps.

For acoustic you can use a nice condenser mic like those used to record vocals, or, if on a budget, a nice vocal mic like the sm58.

If you are doing it as a hobby then you can do it with a USB interface but it wont give you the best quality. If you are serious about it, you can get a small card/interface that allows RCA and 1/4 inputs so you can conect the mic (or both mics) to a mixer and once you get the mix right, record it using the computer.

It's easy and not so expensive to do.

Also when recording guitars (acoustic and electric) I always use at least 2 mics.

I wouldnt recomend a sm57 for aocustic' date=' it's better suited for recording amps.

For acoustic you can use a nice condenser mic like those used to record vocals, or, if on a budget, a nice vocal mic like the sm58.

If you are doing it as a hobby then you can do it with a USB interface but it wont give you the best quality. If you are serious about it, you can get a small card/interface that allows RCA and 1/4 inputs so you can conect the mic (or both mics) to a mixer and once you get the mix right, record it using the computer.

It's easy and not so expensive to do.

Also when recording guitars (acoustic and electric) I always use at least 2 mics.[/quote']

I read that one could be a SM57 and the other could be a condenser mike?

So as you said if on a budget maybe a SM57 paired with a 58?

Can't I use just a SM58 for both acoustic and recording the amp??

For those who aren't aware, the SM57 and SM58 are electronically identical. The SM57 places the diaphragm closer to the audio source, while the SM58 puts a windscreen in front of it. For anything with no moving air - strings - there is no difference.

For very little money, I recommend the ART USB Dual Pre. Two-channel pre-amp with phantom power, for less than $100.

For very little money' date=' I recommend the ART USB Dual Pre. Two-channel pre-amp with phantom power, for less than $100. [/quote']

Thats to go between the microphone and the computer program right?

Sorry, new to recording.

For those who aren't aware' date=' the SM57 and SM58 are electronically identical. [b']The SM57 places the diaphragm closer to the audio source, while the SM58 puts a windscreen in front of it[/b]. For anything with no moving air - strings - there is no difference.

For very little money, I recommend the ART USB Dual Pre. Two-channel pre-amp with phantom power, for less than $100.

Exactly, and that makes a lot of difference, just try them both with a voice amp in the same EQ settings, you'll notice more difference than that of completely different mics.

And +1 on the ART USB dual pre.

Archived