Gibson Brands Forums

String choice, your thoughts!

mooboo

What strings do you all tend to use? I have a CL-30 and I originally had Gibson masterbuilt or w/e on it but they lost tone in like a week!! Now I have Elixir 12-56 phosphor bronze but they seem a little too bright/mid rangy. Next up is the 80/20. What do you all tend to like better (of all the strings)?

What strings do you all tend to use? I have a CL-30 and I originally had Gibson masterbuilt or w/e on it but they lost tone in like a week!! Now I have Elixir 12-56 phosphor bronze but they seem a little too bright/mid rangy. Next up is the 80/20. What do you all tend to like better (of all the strings)?

80/20s will be even brighter than the PBs I think. I'm using the PBs at the mo and I think after a while you'll find they'll settle and then last forever ( being Elixirs) with beautiful tone.

Enjoy your hunt for your perfect string!

All the best, Matt

80/20s will be even brighter than the PBs I think. I'm using the PBs at the mo and I think after a while you'll find they'll settle and then last forever ( being Elixirs) with beautiful tone.

Enjoy your hunt for your perfect string!

All the best' date=' Matt[/quote']

I agree with Matt above. I have always found 80/20's to be brighter. I use the Elixir PB Nano 12-54's and find that after about 2 days, they lose any tinnyness and mellow to exactly what I like and stay that way for a good 2-3 months before they die.

You could always give the DR Sunbeams or Rare Phospher Bronze a try. They are really nice strings and much more mellow out of the box than Elxir strings, but they won't last near as long but are not as expensive either.

I put them on Saturday evening and have been playing the heck out of them! It is starting to mellow out (or I'm becoming more mellow to them :-$ ) and sounds really great. They seem to have a natural "chorus" effect. Almost like a 12 string but not as folk. I also want to note that Gibson makes one GOOD acoustic, but strings that come out of Gibson's factory suck!!

I use the cheapest Martin 80/20 strings they make... lights on my J45 and Western Classic and the relatively new light/mediums (.0125-.0550) on my Dove Artist. Actually I use the light/mediums sometimes on my Western Classic too...

I've tried many, including coated, but I like the cheap Martins the best...

Archived