Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone familiar with the LR Baggs M1 Active or Fishman Rare Earth?

Jinder

I'm looking at putting a pickup in my RW Guild OM, and am interested in something that offers a different flavour to the Baggs Element in my Hummingbird and the Fishman Matrix II in my SJ200.

I initially thought of the Fishman Rare Earth, but a local dealer of mine has the Baggs M1 Active, and I think I prefer the Baggs aesthetically, as well as being a big fan of the Element in my HB.

What would you recommend? It's hard to shop for a pickup as you can't try out a whole bunch and then pull the trigger, so I need some informed advice on it.

I also considered the K&K Pure Western Mini, but as all my other guitars have active pickups I'd like to have another active pup in the Guild so I could switch from guitar to guitar live without having too much of a volume discrepancy.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on it!

Hi Jinder.....

I have an old Highland UST (active) pickup in my trusty Taylor. I have K & K Mini Westerns in both Gibsons..... if anything, the K & K minis are louder than the Highlander when plugged directly into my Genz Benz Shenendoah amp. At home that is how I play mostly. When using my LR Baggs PARA DI to plug into with the K & K's or my old Highlander (it gives me some nice adjustments that work well with the active pickup as well) I simply have to adjust the volume a tad when switching guitars.

While the K & K is a passive pickup, you would be amazed at the volume it produces and I love that I don't have to worry about swapping out a battery with strings on if it just up and dies.

Jinder, I recently purchased the LR Baggs M1 Active for my J-45 -- I had it permanently installed (strapjack). I've been very happy with it. It sounds very natural to me. One of the things I like about it is it's very good at picking up any percussive sounds you make around the soundboard. I play with a percussive style, so I love that aspect. The one knock I've heard on the M1 is that it picks up the pick sound hitting the strings. I haven't noticed that at all, but I suppose it depends on your playing style -- but it is sensitive enough to pick up a lot of percussiveness.

I should mention, I use it with strumming with a pick and also with fingerpicking with bare fingers and I'm happy in both instances. I would recommend the M1 Active. Feel free to PM me if you want to ask me more questions.

Hi-

I had the Fishman Rare Earth Blend (with the mic) in a Southern Jumbo and thought that it was as good an amplified sound as I've ever gotten out of a guitar. What I didn't like about it was that you either had to permanently mount it in your guitar or let the chord hang out of the soundhole.

I currently have an M1A in my Dove Artist... not quite as good as the Rare Earth with the mic, but an improvement over the Rare Earth with no mic... and you can take it out when you want to.

I'm satisfied with the sound of it so far and folks that have been in audiences I've played for have responded very favorably...

Good luck!

I have a similar "problem" as you, Jinder.

On M-R GIBS (SJ 200 Custom Elite) I have a permanently installed L.R. Baggs M1 active

Now in that moment a friend of mine - a master luthier is building for me a guitar - a special custom - cedar top, rosewood back&sides, mahagony neck.

So in this new guiar I am planning to install a Fishman Rare earth with microphone.

Not that I am unsatisfied with the M1. I love the sound of the M1!

But on the other guitar I just decided to fix a Fichman Rare Earth.

Le changement fait le charme de la vie.

Thanks for the kind advice all!

I am leaning towards the Baggs more and more. Does anyone know how feedback resistant the M1 Active is?

Krasi, your new custom build acoustic sounds amazing...when will it be finished? We need pics!!

Thanks for the kind advice all!

I am leaning towards the Baggs more and more. Does anyone know how feedback resistant the M1 Active is?

Krasi' date=' your new custom build acoustic sounds amazing...when will it be finished? We need pics!![/quote']

Jinder -- from my limited experience the M1 is extremely feedback resistant. From everything I've read about it, that also seems to be the case.

Krasi' date=' your new custom build acoustic sounds amazing...when will it be finished? We need pics!![/quote']

I did not use very much the L.R.Baggs M1 because I did not played plugged in much. What I hear and feel is that this is the greatest pick up I have ever heared and I did not notice a feed back. None.

I was worried a little about the vision - it is white (more precisely ivory colour) and it is on the sound hole. But I realised that I don't like anymore the "piezo" lapping of the undersaddle piezo pickups. That's why I choosed L.R.Baggs M1.

David Gilmor uses it:

So I decided to do the same :-

About the new guitar - it will be a "copy" of the instrument of Eric Clapton (a Martin) on which he is playing that famous "Unplugged".

The guitar will be ready in the winter. Maybe End December or middle January.

I will post many pictures - be sure :-/

And in this new guitar I plan to install a Fishman Rare Earth Blend with a microphone. I don't want undersaddle pickups no more. I hate the lapping.

And I don't need to "repeat" the L.R.Baggs M1 - I am sure that the Fishman Rare Earth Blend gives at least the same quality acoustic sound as the M1.

No lapping with the L.R Baggs M1 - only pure acoustic sound. Very tender. You will like it, Jinder.

Matter of fact - to choose between the M1 and the Fish Rare Earth Blend - you just have to try both...

Archived