Gibson Brands Forums

Electric Newbie Question

sternfan

Hey all - I'm a purveyor of acoustics but am interested in getting an electric (for just playing at home, recording, and for playing out every now and again). One thing I've learned with my acoustics is that you get what you pay for. There's no such thing as "almost a Martin" or "almost a Gibson." It either is or it isn't.

That being said, I'm intrigued by the Epiphone Les Paul and the Gibson Les Paul. I know with my acoustics what attributes drive quality (and therefore, cost) on the guitar: tonewoods, neck joint, neck-wood, inlay, etc. However, I'm utterly clueless when it comes to what is driving the cost of the Gibson Les Paul to be that much greater than the Epiphone Les Paul.

Could you help me out? What will I be missing if I get an Epiphone? I've noticed there are several kinds of Epiphone Les Pauls. What do you consider to be the one that sounds/feels most like a Gibson Les Paul?

Clueless in PA

It's basically the same with the electrics - you get what you pay for, although the line between the higher end Epis and the lower end Gibsons can get a little blurry. Buy a Gibson and you are at least buying an American made product and maybe preserving a few jobs. Go play as many as you can and find the one that speaks to you regardless of brand.

BTW, after starting off on acoustics (20+ years) I began playing electric seriously about 10 years ago. IMO, electric is easier to play than acoustic, but harder to play well.

It's basically the same with the electrics - you get what you pay for' date=' although the line between the higher end Epis and the lower end Gibsons can get a little blurry. Buy a Gibson and you are at least buying an American made product and maybe preserving a few jobs. Go play as many as you can and find the one that speaks to you regardless of brand.

BTW, after starting off on acoustics (20+ years) I began playing electric seriously about 10 years ago. IMO, electric is easier to play than acoustic, but harder to play well.[/quote']

I agree with your BTW.

One must learn how to control the strings that you don't want to sound.

Archived